Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
Okay, phew I finally finished reading this whole thread beginning to end. Firstly, thanks everyone for all of the tips and suggestions I greatly appreciate it. I finished modifying my L.G incubator last night and installed a fan, bottle cap on the temperature adjustor nob and added a syringe and straw system that allows me to add water to the incubator without opening it. So I guess I just need to start collecting eggs and then get this hatch on the road :).
Nice job!!!

Plenty of eggs available. I only buy from BYC members at this point. Some have good luck on other sites too like eBay.

For everyone using an LG, I found reading Chookschick cheat sheet very helpful-- she uses LG's for her hatching.

I put the jar in a corner with sponge hanging out. THe closer to the fan, the more humidity is created. Also MORE jars results in ahigher RH. ( I use 80% RH for turkeys.)

ANother suggestion I saw a person use was place paper towels under the screen, using great care to NOT BLOCK THE IN VENTS, and saturating with water to up humidity.

Time to go clean the incubator again--someone mentioned that bleach pits the styrofoam, so I'm bacl tp soap and water for cleaning.

Okay, phew I finally finished reading this whole thread beginning to end. Firstly, thanks everyone for all of the tips and suggestions I greatly appreciate it. I finished modifying my L.G incubator last night and installed a fan, bottle cap on the temperature adjustor nob and added a syringe and straw system that allows me to add water to the incubator without opening it. So I guess I just need to start collecting eggs and then get this hatch on the road :).

Before you put your eggs in, turn the incubator on the day before and regulate it. Once you put the eggs in the temperature and humidity will fluctuate DO NOT TOUCH the thermostat for several hours and let the incubator with the eggs inside stabilize. Then if you need to teak it do it but barely turn the knob as a very small turn can make a big difference. It takes several hours for the internal part of the eggs to come up in temperature. Good luck and have fun...
jumpy.gif

Thanks for the tips. I am planning on incubating 30 eggs or so from our flock, so just some random Golden Comet mixes. I probably won't put the eggs in until Saturday or Sunday that way I can monitor the temperature and how much 1 syringe full of water boosts the humidity which at the moment appears to be 5 % ish.. I plan on putting in some jars filled with water and sponges for lockdown to avoid another disaster like last time :/. I was actually going back and forth about whether or not to incubate at all right now because we are going to be gone for 3 1/2 days while we go to Montreal over Memorial day weekend but we are having someone come over with extensive experience with hatching and said she would check on the incubator when she comes over twice a day.

Oh and I am incubating in a closet because that is the only place in our house without windows or a heater. I haven't had any chicks suffocate atleast that I can tell but I found some some pieces old tile and was wondering if it would be a bad idea to put them under the incubator and raise it 1/2 inch off the floor for increased air flow?

Oh and I am incubating in a closet because that is the only place in our house without windows or a heater. I haven't had any chicks suffocate atleast that I can tell but I found some some pieces old tile and was wondering if it would be a bad idea to put them under the incubator and raise it 1/2 inch off the floor for increased air flow?

I have never had a chick suffocate. Many times I adjust the temperature and humidity by taking one or both plugs on top out. I have also put tape over the holes on the lid where I partially cover the holes with the tape. The lids do not fit tightly so some air does get through. Some people actually tape the lid to the base. I don't care if there is air loss through the seam. I think a lot of people overly worry about the conditions for incubating and hatching. There are some rules we must follow and other we can bend. You just have to find what works for you for your best possible hatches. Most hatches aren't 100%. I have had some but they are rare. I think it is wise to originally incubate and hatch some of your barn yard eggs. That is how I started out. That way I figured I wasn't wasting good eggs that I may want good birds from. I now hatch for show quality. Again good luck and have fun...
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom