Miss no name staring at me
View attachment 3651770
Eugene being Eugene
View attachment 3651771
Barb, Teri, and Pepper (Barbecue, teriyaki, Lemon pepper) being head hens
View attachment 3651779
Big Red starting to come hang around a little more
View attachment 3651780

Noone else wanted pictures taken lol so maybe later ill post the rest, been getting 6 eggs lately and super pumped about that, ladies starting to earn their keep lol
View attachment 3651781
That olive egg though
Jayz watching me sitting near his ladies.. wondering if i have treats lol
View attachment 3651769
Miss no name staring at me
View attachment 3651770
Eugene being Eugene
View attachment 3651771
Barb, Teri, and Pepper (Barbecue, teriyaki, Lemon pepper) being head hens
View attachment 3651779
Big Red starting to come hang around a little more
View attachment 3651780

Noone else wanted pictures taken lol so maybe later ill post the rest, been getting 6 eggs lately and super pumped about that, ladies starting to earn their keep lol
View attachment 3651781
That olive egg though

View attachment 3651782
i see duct work coming from under the coop. Just curious is this for ventilation or not related at all?

The duct work is just a dryer vent hose coming out of a styrofoam cooler and running into the bottom of the coop...

We were hitting highs of 100+ for a couple weeks and the birds were just miserable.. panting and holding wings up and just all around hating summer, so i made a little swamp cooler to get them through the daytime heat... once the ice packs went in there, they all would go and lay by the door and in the coop where the cooler air was.

I work a hog farm during the morning/afternoon and our supplies come packed in the gel bags to stay cool, so i brought a bunch home and repurposed them for cool air flow for them.
For ventilation, the roof raises about 6 inches and there is window on the opposite side (away from breezes and wind or sideways rain) that is about 2' x 2'

However, its all temporary.. with this weather coming up, i have the back half of the garage cleared out, need to put fencing and a door, cut a hole in the garage wall for an entry way, fill the inside with medium/coarse sand, set up roosts and feeders and water barrel and an ambient LED light so they can have 14 to 16 hours of light and stay in lay a bit better...

Its seems like more work than it really is, i just have to get motivated and do it... expecting a frost in the next week so super cold weather isnt far behind.

Main reasoning for the move is there isnt a covered space in their run areas, except for the used, prefab white coop that the 3 leghorns roost in.. it has a small enclosed "run" thats maybe 24sqft and looks incredibly small when those three want out in the morning.. i wanted to give them something big enough to stay in when the weather was bad and not foght over space but also clean my yard up a bit from all my handiwork ive put into it this year..

Also planning on making a 10'x10' encased grass patch that they can only eat when it gets above the hardware cloth...

Lot of plans, not a lot of getting it done lol but oll get there in time

The duct work is just a dryer vent hose coming out of a styrofoam cooler and running into the bottom of the coop...

We were hitting highs of 100+ for a couple weeks and the birds were just miserable.. panting and holding wings up and just all around hating summer, so i made a little swamp cooler to get them through the daytime heat... once the ice packs went in there, they all would go and lay by the door and in the coop where the cooler air was.

I work a hog farm during the morning/afternoon and our supplies come packed in the gel bags to stay cool, so i brought a bunch home and repurposed them for cool air flow for them.
For ventilation, the roof raises about 6 inches and there is window on the opposite side (away from breezes and wind or sideways rain) that is about 2' x 2'

However, its all temporary.. with this weather coming up, i have the back half of the garage cleared out, need to put fencing and a door, cut a hole in the garage wall for an entry way, fill the inside with medium/coarse sand, set up roosts and feeders and water barrel and an ambient LED light so they can have 14 to 16 hours of light and stay in lay a bit better...

Its seems like more work than it really is, i just have to get motivated and do it... expecting a frost in the next week so super cold weather isnt far behind.

Main reasoning for the move is there isnt a covered space in their run areas, except for the used, prefab white coop that the 3 leghorns roost in.. it has a small enclosed "run" thats maybe 24sqft and looks incredibly small when those three want out in the morning.. i wanted to give them something big enough to stay in when the weather was bad and not foght over space but also clean my yard up a bit from all my handiwork ive put into it this year..

Also planning on making a 10'x10' encased grass patch that they can only eat when it gets above the hardware cloth...

Thanks for the info , that is such a smart idea. We had a horrible summer as well in southern Louisiana and we wound up adding more windows to the coop , but it barely helped my poor flock. They were mouth open & wings out all night. Luckily it is much better this week and more good weather to come. Next summer I will surely remember the idea. Thanks !

Also about your leghorns they are beautiful, and their eggs as well.

Back
Top Bottom