Little look at how my birds are doing

Got home today and almost had a heart attack...

Fence was knocked in, coop doors were shut (i opened them at 6 this morning), waters were knocked over, feathers everywhere and i could only see 6 of the chickens, including the rooster...

Since we're in town it's not like they can get far and even when they get out they stay close to the house or their run because familiar structures... anyway... im digressing..

We got some new neighbors a couple months ago and they brought with them 5 dogs... of those 5, 2 can jump the fence and get out.. of those 2 only one does and roams the block a bit and usually gets found out pretty quickly... i was at home sick on friday and the chickens were being oddly loud so went outside and sure enough there he was...took him back across the street and let him in their yard again 5 times before 9am..

I found one tinky in the garage, jayz had the 5 girls he likes most (the ones that were in his brooder when i had to split them to two groups of 5 for space) in the coop and im guessing then the dog knocked the door board down and they were holed up when i got home... the other 7 had gotten out l, ran around and hid under the coop.. got everybody back, gave some scratch as a treat to take their minds off it and lower their stress and fixed the crumpled mess and restaple things to wood and stake down bottom opening spots..

Just ridiculous and the neighbors act like its no big deal which irritates me more.. like "oh its only some little birds, hes kust doing what dogs do"

Im a massive animal lover... i took in 4 baby possums last fall and kept them til this spring when they were big enough to fend for themselves outside and it wasnt freezing.. i have a billion outside cats that keep mice and rats away from my house, garage, and coop... i like dogs... but if i had come home to a dog in my run and dead chickens, the neighbors wouldnt have come home without losing one of their pets either and it sucks to say...

Some people need to learn how to get their dogs to obey and stay in their yard (dude is a pit mix and cute as hell... fawn coloring and frosty blue eyes, hes a love bug) but he clears their 5ft fence from standing still and doesnt touch the fence at all on his way over...

Sorry rant over lol

Though on the plus side, 4 eggs today (im assuming stress is a factor in the rest also theyre more afternoon layers) and I got a brown egg that beat the leghorns monster egg from the other day

Lets recall the xxl jumbo white egg in comparison to the large brown egg haha
20231005_114218.jpg

Now todays brown egg in comparison to the leghorns eggs which were still pretty big today

20231010_173520.jpg

I was surprised lol itll be delicious lol

Also day 17.5 on my leghorn x jayz egg and going into lockdown tonight.. sister bought and sent me an incubator, she wants me to hatch her quail and random hatching eggs she probably doesnt need lol

Cheapy amazon one with terrible reviews and ive already had to set it to 94f to keep it at 99... when set on 100f (factory) it heated itself to 108 and im not putting anything in it til i know how to dial it in..

Thats all though... how are yall doing today?

Oh my! What a day, I'm glad all your chickens are ok. I love animals but can't stand irresponsible owners.

My day was pretty normal as far as work goes, thankfully got to leave only a little late so had a few minutes to let my 9 wk old chicks out into the yard and watch their antics before the sun went down.

We were replacing feedline at work all day today and probably more of the same tomorrow.... im off saturday for opening day duck season but otherwise im back on 21 day farm stretches..

Got home today and almost had a heart attack...

Fence was knocked in, coop doors were shut (i opened them at 6 this morning), waters were knocked over, feathers everywhere and i could only see 6 of the chickens, including the rooster...

Since we're in town it's not like they can get far and even when they get out they stay close to the house or their run because familiar structures... anyway... im digressing..

We got some new neighbors a couple months ago and they brought with them 5 dogs... of those 5, 2 can jump the fence and get out.. of those 2 only one does and roams the block a bit and usually gets found out pretty quickly... i was at home sick on friday and the chickens were being oddly loud so went outside and sure enough there he was...took him back across the street and let him in their yard again 5 times before 9am..

I found one tinky in the garage, jayz had the 5 girls he likes most (the ones that were in his brooder when i had to split them to two groups of 5 for space) in the coop and im guessing then the dog knocked the door board down and they were holed up when i got home... the other 7 had gotten out l, ran around and hid under the coop.. got everybody back, gave some scratch as a treat to take their minds off it and lower their stress and fixed the crumpled mess and restaple things to wood and stake down bottom opening spots..

Just ridiculous and the neighbors act like its no big deal which irritates me more.. like "oh its only some little birds, hes kust doing what dogs do"

Im a massive animal lover... i took in 4 baby possums last fall and kept them til this spring when they were big enough to fend for themselves outside and it wasnt freezing.. i have a billion outside cats that keep mice and rats away from my house, garage, and coop... i like dogs... but if i had come home to a dog in my run and dead chickens, the neighbors wouldnt have come home without losing one of their pets either and it sucks to say...

Some people need to learn how to get their dogs to obey and stay in their yard (dude is a pit mix and cute as hell... fawn coloring and frosty blue eyes, hes a love bug) but he clears their 5ft fence from standing still and doesnt touch the fence at all on his way over...

Sorry rant over lol

Though on the plus side, 4 eggs today (im assuming stress is a factor in the rest also theyre more afternoon layers) and I got a brown egg that beat the leghorns monster egg from the other day

Lets recall the xxl jumbo white egg in comparison to the large brown egg haha
View attachment 3656669

Now todays brown egg in comparison to the leghorns eggs which were still pretty big today

View attachment 3656673
I was surprised lol itll be delicious lol

Also day 17.5 on my leghorn x jayz egg and going into lockdown tonight.. sister bought and sent me an incubator, she wants me to hatch her quail and random hatching eggs she probably doesnt need lol

Cheapy amazon one with terrible reviews and ive already had to set it to 94f to keep it at 99... when set on 100f (factory) it heated itself to 108 and im not putting anything in it til i know how to dial it in..

Thats all though... how are yall doing today?
I've had way too many chickens (5 total) eaten by neighbor dogs just running on the lose. It is so frustrating! If you can get photographic proof then the sherrif can do something if the problem keeps recurring.

Thank you thank you!

trying to find my way around.. reading and learning and reading some more... it blows my mind, all the information thats here and the really helpful and knowledgeable people.

Plus i figured, if everytime i put in a chicken question or issue or looking to see what my chickens are crossed with and it brings me here, why am i not just here? Lol

Got a head of lettuce for the ladies and jayz today
View attachment 3657508

Theyre making quick work of it
View attachment 3657516
That's great they're eating it! I managed to raise spoiled chickens and they don't like their veggies, at all. They like the juicy sweet things like watermelon, tomatoes, strawberries, bananas. I think the only veggie they like is cucumbers.

I bet that was fun to watch them 😃

As the list goes with .ine, some like tomatoes so.much theyll jump up and try to get on my shoulders or arms to peck at them first before i split them up and some could care less... i have two thay love eating the habaneros and scorpion peppers that fall off in the garden... they all dig bananas, strawberries, cucumbers, spinach, lettuce, and broccoli (but only the florets)... ive let them peck through a couple small pumpkins this year too..

Depending on how they lay and how many eggs i couldnt get rid of, they get scrambled eggs about every other week and then get the eggshells crushed back after cleaning and baking them a bit...

The other day they got what was left of my veggie and rice stirfry with thin stripped beef and then followed me around all day like i had more in my pocket and just wasnt giving it up lol

But usually only get one treat day a week and its usually always veg and some sort of protein whether its the eggs or a bowl of mealworms (not often though because that usually starts fights since theyve all attacked the holy heck out of mealworms since they were a couple weeks old)

A shot of a more chocolate egg from eugene today next to im guessing what the egg that big red actually looks like instead of that first time crinkled and cracked top egg from the other day

Attachments

• 20231011_191728~2.jpg
    20231011_191728~2.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 4
As the list goes with .ine, some like tomatoes so.much theyll jump up and try to get on my shoulders or arms to peck at them first before i split them up and some could care less... i have two thay love eating the habaneros and scorpion peppers that fall off in the garden... they all dig bananas, strawberries, cucumbers, spinach, lettuce, and broccoli (but only the florets)... ive let them peck through a couple small pumpkins this year too..

Depending on how they lay and how many eggs i couldnt get rid of, they get scrambled eggs about every other week and then get the eggshells crushed back after cleaning and baking them a bit...

The other day they got what was left of my veggie and rice stirfry with thin stripped beef and then followed me around all day like i had more in my pocket and just wasnt giving it up lol

But usually only get one treat day a week and its usually always veg and some sort of protein whether its the eggs or a bowl of mealworms (not often though because that usually starts fights since theyve all attacked the holy heck out of mealworms since they were a couple weeks old)

A shot of a more chocolate egg from eugene today next to im guessing what the egg that big red actually looks like instead of that first time crinkled and cracked top egg from the other day
Oh yes, I can imagine the looks you were getting all day after allowing them to find out there was something as amazing as stir-fry in existence! I have two coops that love mealworms and two coops that won't touch them, it's crazy. Some chickens definitely have favorite treats too, I try to make sure they get extra of their favorites.

I've made the mistake of thinking I can stoop down to put something in their coop while holding a sandwich in my other hand or course lofted up away from the hungry beaks, and I still end up having chickens able to launch themselves up and nab my breakfast right out of my hand 🤣

Ooh, beautiful chocolate egg! Crinkles happen, as long as it doesn't continue, it's likely just a new layer glitch or maybe some stress as just thr wrong time.

Back
Top Bottom