livestock 101 - How are the factory hens doing?

Hello! Sorry, things have been hectic around here.

They are doing fairly well. Their in a 12' by 24' coop. I hooked up the fans a week ago, so they should be living the good life; staying nice and cool. All are now eating and drinking, though one had to be put back into a small confined area because she wasn't drinking or eating at all. She would just hide in the corner and she appeared to be getting weaker. I got rid of our most aggressive rooster because every time he would crow (which is ALL day long) the factory hens seemed to freak out. I know in time they would have gotten used to him but the fact is, I was already thinking about getting rid of him and this seemed to be the best time. I want the new hens to thrive and "homeboy" as we called him, wasn't helping the situation. They finally stopped laying eggs, which I am THRILLED about!

I put a small crate on the floor, filled with straw, layed it sideways (it measures something like 12 inches x 12 inches) and 5 of the hens squeeze themselves into this every night to sleep. I go out with a flashlight do a headcount and there's always a big pile of factory hens in that crate. I have tried putting them on a low roost that sits 2' off the ground and they are absolutely terrified of being on it. We'll need some time with that one.

Only 2 of the hens have gone outside of their own as of yet, without me actually taking them out. The others stay inside. They love the sun! It shines through the windows and they all huddle up and lay in it.

They can eat fairly well out of the large 30 gallon feeder. The rim along the edge is larger and they can get their head turned sideways to eat. I enclosed a recent picture of that. As far as waterers, they seem to prefer drinking out of tubs. I have 2 of the galvanized waterers and they can't seem to drink very well out of them.

The hens are still losing feathers and look pretty harsh. One thing I am SO happy about is on a couple of the hens, it appears their combs are starting to stand up more so that they can see out of both eyes. In the first picture, look at the hen on the right hand side in the back. Her comb sets sideways, does not hang down anymore. Some of the other hens have combs that are just so long, I don't think things will get a lot better but that's okay. I still think they look pretty darn cute. My husband and I don't care if they ever lay another egg in their life. Poor things.

I have a few recent pictures below. As soon as I read your post about wanting an update, I ran out and took some pictures. The last picture is of my "pet" leghorn that I raised from a chick. She kept following me around so I decided to take her picture. She's such a funny little hen. Who says leghorns are flightly???? Just look at that picture!

BatteryHens2003.jpg

BatteryHens2005.jpg

BatteryHens2013.jpg

BatteryHens2014.jpg

BatteryHens2016.jpg

BatteryHens2017.jpg

Last edited:
Oh to me they look so much better - I think its in their eyes!
They must feel REALLY strange being able to walk around and do whatever they want....
Poor things!

I am so glad to see they are thriveing. I LOVE the second pic of the hen....with her head up...looks like she is saying.. " But of course you want pics, im beautifull"
Looks like they may be molting. This could come from being so hot in the battery cages, and cooler now, makes them think its fall, and time to molt. This would explain the stop in laying as well. This is a good thing. Time to heal.
Your "pet" Is so cute. She just had to get in on the action hu? Toooo funny! I have a white Langshan...she runs in between my feet like a puppy....wanting me to pick her up. SPOILED!! Thats what she is! LOL

Great job...
clap.gif

bless you heart for caring for those hens, they look so much better now. Now they can live the real chicken life!!!
Keep up the good work & please updated when ya can.
smile.png

Miriam

Back
Top Bottom