Livestock Dogs trained for Poultry?

greatergraceoffbg

Songster
10 Years
May 30, 2009
A dog is listed here on BYC with a 500.00 reserve because it supposedly shows a special affinity or giftedness for watching Poultry. Does any one have any experience with these dogs? Is there any possibility that ALL dogs of these breeds when raised with Poultry are good protectors of the fowl? Is there possibly any smaller breeds, I live in town, and have two properties where I keep chickens here in town. One of the setups is for younger fowl and is entirely caged. the other area is a switch out combo of free range, coop, and a transitional cage. We are on a creek which is a highway for coons, opposums, foxes, ringtails, and bobcats. Its neither realistic nor right in my estimation to kill animals that are just doing what animals do and thats eat. So I am looking at the possibility of a dog. I see the same breeds on Craigslist at times for free, but they vary in age, and I would also like to know what age the introduction to the chickens would need to start. Thanks for any input.

Andy in Fredericksburg
smile.png

Quote:
Are we taking about Great Pyrenees? If so, no, not all are good with poultry or even livestock. Most DO have the instinct to protect livestock (goats, cows, etc), but just like any other dog, chickens seem to be a big temptation. We have 2. The female is better with the chickens than our male, but I don't trust either one of them alone with them. We actually have a Buff Orp hen without a wing because we caught our male chewing on her one day. BTW - our female cost $100 and come from strong working lines. She's a great guardian, but we had to take our male out of the pasture because he won't stop biting goats.

So, to make a long story short - No, they are not all cut out to be with poultry and/or livestock. Just like how not every Lab is cut out to be a duck dog. Even though they were bred for those traits, some just don't "get it."

I've trained 4 different dogs to be safe around chickens. They don't actually guard the chickens, they simply run in the same space and chase any critters not in our family -- rats, coon, you name it. I trained them all fairly easily to obey a "no" command in regard to the chickens. They are all rescues, but best guess is, one Jack Russell, one black lab, one mixed retriever, and one small dog, a real genetic mess, I suppose some chihuahua, beagle, dachsund, who knows.

ddawn,

Could you give us details on how you trained your dogs to obey "no"? We've just gotten a baby Great Pyrenees/Catahoula - he's the first pup I've trained, so it's a little overwhelming.

I take him in the chicken pen with me while I work, usually on a lead. I'm going to start feeding him in there, after I feed the chickens. Trying to get across the idea that the chicken pen is a place to work, not play. I'm going to practice his obedience skills in there, too, on the lead and then off.

He does run at the chickens when he's loose, which is natural in a puppy (he's almost 8 weeks). And of course I'm wondering if any of that could be Catahoula herding behavior, and if so, what to do with it. But of course I really, really need to know how to prevent him from biting the chickens, because he'll surely work up to that before he matures.

71782_02-16-2011_025.jpg

Is there any possibility that ALL dogs of these breeds when raised with Poultry are good protectors of the fowl?

No, not at all.

Nothing is "certain" with animals, and there are NO breeds developed to specifically "guard" poultry​

I have only raised 1 Pyreneese and I lost him last week. I got him at 6 weeks and introduced him to the birds(chickens, guineas and turkeys) the first day he was here. I just watched him around the birds and when he would try to get frisky with a bird, I would just fuss at him in a stern voice. He never harmed a single bird. I only lost 1 bird, a guinea from a hawk strike, but he didn't let the hawk eat his kill. He guarded the dead guinea until I got home. He would sun in the yard while the birds walked all around him and if a sparrow or dove would even land in the yard, he ran it off. He also faced off with coyotes long enough for me to get a gun. He was 10 months old when he disapeared last Thursday. I did get a new one today and will never be without a Pyrenees again!

Last edited:
I'm considering a Blue Heeler puppy right now.

Andy writes
Its neither realistic nor right in my estimation to kill animals that are just doing what animals do and thats eat. So I am looking at the possibility of a dog.

My hope is that my dog will kill every predator that enters onto my property because of just that reason
doing what animals do and thats eat

And, eating my expensive chickens is what they absolutely will do if they are not killed.

I have no inherent hatred for coons, possums or coyotes but, if I allow them to inhabit the areas around my property, my chickens will die! Painfully obvious that I cannot change the wild animal's behavior. Sooooo....

I was told by some very proud owners that the Jagdterriers are the easiest of the terrier breeds to discourage from bothering chickens and that they are more fierce than a Jack Russell yet, much calmer, making a great family dog. Expensive though.​

I've also trained a couple dogs to be good around the flock. One of my dachshunds even lays with my chicks and protects them all day, shes very protective like a mother. Here are some pictures. It takes alot of dedication and patience to train them against their hunting instinct. Much easier if you have a puppy tho. I let my Cornish X's free range and they NEED protection haha.

78558_img_1223.jpg

78558_img_1240.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't done this with chickens yet, but have with parrots (babies and adults), budgies, rabbits, cats, gerbils, and a starling that liked to land on doggie heads.
Dogs were/are pointer mix, german shep/chow mix, sheltie mix, mini dachshund, aussies. The pointer mix was an outdoor dog and, though large, an expert ratter.

I should point out that all our dogs will gladly kill any other animal that wanders into their reach- but they know that MY animals are off limits, indoors or out. Any animals that I bring into the home are considered MINE and they know it.

Our birds steal the dog toys and like to bite doggie toes. The dogs have managed to keep a young hawk from swooping down on my parrot while outside. They keep cats, unwanted people, and wild birds out of the yard- as well as alerting me to snakes (little dog just freaks out and barks and barks and barks). They chase out possums, squirrels and rats. All in all they've been great for my household pets. If only I could teach them to kill roaches! I wonder what they will think of the chickens invading the yard. While I do train them to be a companion to me, I also like them to be independent enough that they keep doing what they're supposed to when I'm not around.

You know that moment where the body goes still, focused intent on what they're about to go running after? Yeah, that's the moment to stop the pup/dog. Have to stop them before they're in the complete hunting zone. You can distract with a toy, touch, or a firm NO, whichever works. Depends on the dog really. I tend to lean towards a snap of the fingers to break the concentration, followed by a slight pause when they turn to look at you then a happy command (maybe "come 'ere") and reward with play and petting.

Depending on the dog (for instance my chow mix was the greatest and most stubborn dog ever) you might just have leashed so you can say NO and touch every time they focus on the birds with that look. My goal is that they studiously avoid looking at the birds, even through wing flapping. This dog became so good when my birds dive-bombed him and his instinct had him opening his jaws, he would catch himself and close his mouth. R.I.P. Geronimo.

A deep voice and a stiff poke in the shoulder/neck tends to do the trick for teaching NO. Sometimes it takes a little step or stomp. Some dogs you can just slightly jerk the leash- or even just jiggle it. It really depends on how willing to please the dog is. With puppies, if you never let the bird be a toy in the first place then the bird just isn't a toy.

When I got my newest dog (adult rescue aussie), he didn't show any signs of going after prey so I had him unleashed in the home and my bird uncaged on the stand. I had to tackle him when he suddenly went for my parrot. I may have overreacted, pinning him to the floor and growling (if you think that's something you should have seen his first ear cleaning!), but hey it worked and I didn't hit him. He wouldn't even walk by the cage after that and always gave my bird a wide girth. He and my parrot have an interesting relationship with one another now. I can and have left the house with small animals loose inside with all the dogs. Point is, always be ready to intervene when introducing animals until you are completely certain.

We're about to adopt another dog in the next few weeks and I'll have to do this training again.

Treat a dog like a dog, never let him get away with anything and he'll be the best, most loyal, devoted dog you ever had. Even the ones that constantly test their boundaries will listen when it counts.

Don't get me wrong, I pet my dog, play with my dog, buy him special toys and squeal when he's being super cute- I am a dog person after all. But when I say come, I mean it and he better get his cute nubby tail self over to me I don't care that he's offleash and the neighbor's cat is running across the street. When I say drop it, he better. When I want to look at his paw, he has to let me. When I open the door, don't go running by me without permission- don't dare to go brushing past me on the stairs either. And never ever growl or even look sideways at me. Nuh uh. No way.
smile.png

All the dogs will react to my finger snap- and yes, some people have called me the dog nazi.
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
If you can select dog in respect to age, I recommend a pup 6 weeks old. Introduce him to birds immediately. His puppy play can damage so watch. Introduce him to calm adult large fowl birds after he has played himself out. I have been making an effort to feed pup and birds at same time in close proximity to each other. Ideally keep pup in close proximity to birds at all times. There will be conflicts when pup gets fired up so watch. My most recent trainee took to actually starting fights for dominance with chickens by putting his head across their back and trying to stand on them. Rooster stopped that, just do not let rooster go to far with lesson. I like my dog to show interest in birds (which is a part the predator drive that many have concern about) since that added activity will promote his checking entire yard, especially when birds signal a disturbance. I want dog to run strait to whatever bird is giving an alarm call. With time dog will learn chicken lingo well enough to ignore social problems between chickens yet get up when predator call is given. My past dogs did not really settle into job until 18 to 24 months of age so you will have to be on your toes until then.

Real test for me is when dog has to deal with a hen tending bitties. If he has it down, then he will not give subtle ques that will rile up hen.

Also don't have dog go up against a real predator like a coon until he has matured. Doing so too early can cause very undesirable fear issues.

As for breed, it needs to be at least half-again as large whatever predator the dog must guard against. That way most confrontations dog can win simply by bluffing. Racoons, ring-tails and coyotes will present combat risk so base size on biggest of those which I guess 35 lbs. for coyote.

Back
Top Bottom