Living life on the edge (of the incubator) hatch-a-long

I've checked both lockdown boxes and no sign of a pip yet. That is good. I'm not ready to get that close to the edge just yet. I do have to put a divider board in the brooder today so they can see each other but not mingle just yet. The two batches will only be a week apart and the last time I did this it went well. A weeks difference in age was no problem at all.

I've checked both lockdown boxes and no sign of a pip yet. That is good. I'm not ready to get that close to the edge just yet. I do have to put a divider board in the brooder today so they can see each other but not mingle just yet. The two batches will only be a week apart and the last time I did this it went well. A weeks difference in age was no problem at all.
I've had good luck with just a week apart too, one time I stretched it to almost 3 weeks, it went OK, I just made a hide for the youngest ones. I put a box in the brooder with a really wide but short door into it. The little ones could walk right under but the older ones could only squatt down and stick their heads in. It gave the little ones a safe place to hang out, eat and drink in peace if they wanted too. Or they could go hang with the big chicks. I didn't like that big of an age gap, but it worked out ok.

I get to go to bed one more night without worrying it the one that just pipped will zip and be ok because none have zipped yet. I suspect this time tomorrow night I'll be on edge because they are some that pipped and stopped or none have pipped at all. I thought maybe one or two might be pipped by now but they are taking it easy on me. If they are nice to me I may remember to bring meal worms home.

Back
Top Bottom