Lloyd Harbor NY Persecutes Rooster Owner

Clothilde

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 29, 2016
I raised the most handsome French Copper Marans rooster from a fertilized egg hatched by a Barred Rock hen who went broody. He was the magnificent protector of our small flock from the hawks, foxes, possums and other predators in the area. Yet he was docile and very quiet and infrequent in his crowing -about 5 cries between 6:15 at 8am each morning. We all lived in harmony for almost 5 years on 2 acres with the coop over 400' through a wooded area to the next property. We shared the dark "chocolate" eggs that Marans lay with everyone.

It all ended when a dispute evolved over a neighbor's refusal to repair a crumbling retaining wall. The neighbor suddenly decided to retaliate by lying that the rooster was crowing at 3am every morning. Since roosters are not illegal in our area, he utilized a vaguely written noise ordinance to say that the rooster was disturbing him.

I cannot make up that the highest paid police officers in NYS came and sat in front of my house every night from 3am til 6-ish when dawn broke and the rooster crowed. They would then bang on my door and issue a summons with a $250 fine. Their approach was "We get a complaint, we hear a rooster, we write a summons" even though the recorded decibels were at the level of conversational speech by the time they reached the neighbor's property.

As you know it is very difficult to re-home a rooster. I called 35 places until I was able to find a wonderful farm who took our dear pet. Meanwhile this took time and effort -I have 20 summonses now at $250 each for $5000 in fines! I have had to hire an attorney and I intend to fight this all the way.

There are many backyard flocks in this bucolic area and at least 9 roosters. This is the first rooster complaint that has been lodged in the 99 year history of the village. It was clearly used as a means of retaliation by an irate neighbor but the police and village government became complicit in this absurd level of enforcement. All the surrounding towns and villages have very specific rooster ordinances which address issues like decibel level of noise, distance from the property line, etc. We are well within compliance to those ordinances. I would appreciate any advice on how to mount a campaign to get the village to establish a reasonable rooster code since so many of the residents are now raising backyard chickens and the noise ordinance can put us all at risk.

What a jerk! I'm so sorry you had to give up your roo. That neighbor WILL get it back, karma likes to come around and slap you when you least expect it.

I would talk to my neighbors and get as many people to support your cause as you can. All thise chicken owners should be on your side. Find out what it takes to change that noise ordinance since that's what you got hit with. Take the decibel info from the surrounding towns and use that to support your cause. If you win against the fines, use that too.
Use the evidence"against" you to support your side. What time it happened and decibel level, throw it back at them and beat them at their own game.
Tell the village council how heart broken you are that you had to rehome your roo for nothing. Now you're trying to prevent heartache for other pet owners and get that town code fixed. Tell your friends and neighbors too. Use the like minded folks around you to help.
Good luck, I hope you get those fines dismissed.

I can truely feel what you are going through. IgorsMistress has some great ideas. Get started soon, as time is on your side right now. It least you didn't have our stupid ordinence, that states you may keep 6 hens in your yard, but a rooster is an excotic animal and as such can not be kept in the city! Good luck, hope it all works out for you. :hugs

Thanks for all your encouragement. The village is resolute -the best they will do is reduce the fine to $2500 and make me plead guilty to 10 summonses and a harassment charge! The case was adjourned because the nega-neighbor is friends with the judge. I think that says it all. At any rate I have hired a former DA as my lawyer and will be going into court to be arraigned on Wednesday December 6th -what a way to start the Christmas holidays! So much for Peace on Earth Goodwill towards men (and God's living creatures!)

Hmm,
Seems last year you were looking to re home your rooster before he was old enough to start crowing and disturb your neighbors since roosters were illegal.
Now a year later its been 5 years and roosters are legal and you're getting treated unfairly?
Confusing....

Hmm,
Seems last year you were looking to re home your rooster before he was old enough to start crowing and disturb your neighbors since roosters were illegal.
Now a year later its been 5 years and roosters are legal and you're getting treated unfairly?
Confusing....

Let me allay your confusion. Roosters are legal and always have been in the village of Lloyd Harbor. There is no Rooster prohibition ordinance. Perhaps you didn't realize that I could be talking about another rooster? The original rooster has been here 5 years. The new one hatched out last year and was successfully homed. I did not want 2 roosters "egging" each other on in a crowing competition and possibly fighting.
Yes -I am being treated unfairly

We have been in court 3 times already-haven't been able to settle. Tonight we start Trial #1 of the 16! Village has refused to consolidate the cases even though they are all exactly the same complaint. 3 of the complaints were issued months after the rooster was no longer here. We live on a bird sanctuary -is it possible these budding ornithologists can't tell the difference between a red-tailed hawk and a screech owl?
It is really sad when a small bucolic village with the highest taxes in NYS wastes taxpayers' money to convene a court 16 times over a rooster and creates ill will among neighbors in the process.
Meanwhile the hens have resumed laying because a rooster has been "dropped off" in the wildlife preserve directly adjacent to the coop. This "visitor" is much louder than the exiled one and his resounding morning greeting seems to assure the girls that they are protected. A nearby town has a rooster prohibition and hapless owners abandon their roos in a place where they think they will survive. They can for awhile if they avoid the foxes, dogs, raccoons and possums.
Surely there are more pressing matters in the world and it is truly unfortunate that people can't communicate with each other in an amicable way to settle their differences. BTW the police who were sitting outside my home for 4 hours each night waiting for a rooster to crow are the highest paid in NYS.

Back
Top Bottom