Local non organic vs shipped organic

Dec 2, 2020
I’m on the fence regarding the true benefits of organic feed. My main concern for meat is not raised in a CAFO and as local as possible and local farms I can drive by or visit for non meat items. Some are organic, some not.

Currently I feed organic that is shipped about 180 miles from an in state co-op. Although I’ve not visited all the farms that belong, Ive spent many days in the area and have family sprinkled there. I got an estimate of about $520 per 1,000lbs Per custom bulk order. About $26 per 50lb bag. They are on pallets, no need for container. Retail is $33-35 depending on store. Chickens like it. It’s minimally processed. I can identify everything in the feed.

A local farm grows most of the ingredients, except corn and some other bits. They are not organic. Unlikely to do much or any custom mix. Good reputation and have been around for decades. They sell 1,000lbs for $200. Bring your own container. Bagged it is $260.

Both have layer and grower. I’d use for my meat flock and layers. Any money earned is fun money/back into feed, the cost is less important than it would be for a business.

Would like any and all opinions on value of “Organic” and wether conventional local is a good substitute.

It is the same concept for people eating organic or not. I personally eat organic (I know there is a controversy with just that word) and feed my chickens as well. If you have done research about food that is processed on genetically altered than much does not need to be explained. Less processed food is best. Added vitamins and minerals are followed by pet food guidelines. The general rule of thumb is, if you can read and recognize the ingredients it is "cleaner" than most things. Or Non-GMO verified if not organic is also "clean". It is up to you.

I think it would depend on the ingredients/nutrition totals in both feeds. Could you list them?
I attached the organic layer ingredients list.

The local farm substitutes in some corn and soy for the Peas in the organic, but I don’t have a list.

I’m not a fan of gmo Soy.

When I was into bodybuilding in the past, I thought pea protein was the best non animal protein based on the essential amino acids found in it. I got most of my protein from meat, but used pea protein powder as a supplement.

I don’t think I’ve seen any other commercial chicken feed that uses peas.

Attachments

• 049FEA33-ACCC-48EC-B836-87C720014525.png
    049FEA33-ACCC-48EC-B836-87C720014525.png
    553.7 KB · Views: 14
I’m not big on GMO soy products myself. Is the other feed 16% protein as well? If all important nutrients are equal, I personally would go w the organic. Some people are not concerned with GMO or organic labels. If you are eating your eggs, and cost isn’t an issue, might as well give your chickens the ingredients you feel most comfortable eating in their eggs.

With produce and meat for my family, we try homegrown first (no pesticides or GMO), then organic local (either pledged or certified), then local, and only buy big-chain when nothing else is available. I haven’t bought meat in a grocery store in years…there are too many good small farms nearby with amazing choices. Luckily we cut costs in other areas so we can eat the way we feel most comfortable.

Very common for all 'smaller' producers here to use peas as we don't grow much soy in New Zealand. I'm not sure the organic vs conventional matters that is up you personally, but I prefer peas over soy.
Here organic feed isn't really available and what is available is imported, so I buy local milled conventional. I am lucky in that respect as GMO crops are banned here. I'm sure it's still full of glyphosate but you can only do what you can do.

I appreciate you sharing your thought process and how your values guide your decisions. It's always interesting when values come into conflict. (Local vs. Organic) You really can't make a wrong decision. If I were in your shoes, I'd support the local business. Let us know what you decide!

I attached the organic layer ingredients list.

The local farm substitutes in some corn and soy for the Peas in the organic, but I don’t have a list.

I’m not a fan of gmo Soy.

When I was into bodybuilding in the past, I thought pea protein was the best non animal protein based on the essential amino acids found in it. I got most of my protein from meat, but used pea protein powder as a supplement.

I don’t think I’ve seen any other commercial chicken feed that uses peas.
The list of ingredients look good.. shoot I would eat it. Again, your choice.

Back
Top Bottom