Solved Locking threads after a year

Kathy Golla

Crowing
Jan 2, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
ETA:
Hello BYC site moderators.
Could I ask if locking threads to replies after a certain timeframe has ever been considered? Like maybe a year?
There are a ton of people who reply to archival threads ,and it displays as if it were a new post.
On the emergency forum there are four just tonight. One post is from 2006.
It really clogs up the forums, and seems unnecessary and ineffective.

Last edited:
Why would you see it that way?
There's times someone resurrects a thread that I enjoy or feel is useful that I wouldn't of found otherwise.
Other times I've seen threads that are resurrected and then become active again with new information or updated information.
If someone is looking for something and finds an archived thread why not bring it back from the dead and continue it instead of starting a new thread? More info with adding to an old thread then starting a new one.
Also see starting new threads about the same subject that already has been discussed would add more to clogging the system then piggybacking on one already here.
IDK, I don't like the idea.

Why would you see it that way?
There's times someone resurrects a thread that I enjoy or feel is useful that I wouldn't of found otherwise.
Other times I've seen threads that are resurrected and then become active again with new information or updated information.
If someone is looking for something and finds an archived thread why not bring it back from the dead and continue it instead of starting a new thread? More info with adding to an old thread then starting a new one.
Also see starting new threads about the same subject that already has been discussed would add more to clogging the system then piggybacking on one already here.
IDK, I don't like the idea.
Gosh, sorry I should have been more clear in my post.
This question was directed specifically to the site moderators to see if it has ever been considered.

I agree with pp. Ive used the search for different subjects and found old threads and dont see why i shouldnt be able to comment and see if the OP or any other poster on the thread has any more info. I'm a big fan of updates.
X2. I think you should look up your question on the search bar and see if anything matches and if nothing does post a thread!

X2. I think you should look up your question on the search bar and see if anything matches and if nothing does post a thread!
I personally love the search feature, use it all the time, I know some of the threads I've found have been a year or more back, it helps me as a newish chicken momma find things that I need to know.

Thanks for the discussion! This is actually something that's been brought up and suggested many times over the years, and something we've disgust internally with our staff.

We absolutely see the reasons why this could be helpful, but we also acknowledge that the pros of leaving old threads open and available to new activity, tend to outweigh the cons.

Back
Top Bottom