Mama duck has ducklings in enclosed courtyard….. but they all die every year. How can I help?

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
Hello everyone, there’s a bit of a dilemma at a church near me that I have gone to for years. So bascially there’s a courtyard that is fully enclosed by the four hallways of the church. Inside the courtyard is a playground for the kids. Each year a wild mallard flies in, and lays her eggs and hatches them out under one of the slides. The church had put snow fence up blocking the nest site after she had left the nest, but she has found a way in and has done so for many years. The problem is, there is no food or water source inside the courtyard, and the babies die off every. Single. Year. People have tried to supply water but no one can keep up with the needs of a mama duck and a ton of babies. Years ago I know a few family’s took a few ducklings home, but not everyone lives on a farm in the country like I do lol. I guess my thought is…. If they are going to die without help…. Can I take some home? I know it can be an issue with laws and stuff but if I called and explained maybe they would give me the ok? I know some people have blocked off the halls and herded her and her babies out an exit door through the church building but then where does she go? There’s nowhere safe for her then since they locked her out of the nest site. Was it mallards that you can cut the right dueclaw off to mark as domestic? I’m not sure I just hate to see tons of little dead ducklings that could have totally survived under different circumstances.

Hello everyone, there’s a bit of a dilemma at a church near me that I have gone to for years. So bascially there’s a courtyard that is fully enclosed by the four hallways of the church. Inside the courtyard is a playground for the kids. Each year a wild mallard flies in, and lays her eggs and hatches them out under one of the slides. The church had put snow fence up blocking the nest site after she had left the nest, but she has found a way in and has done so for many years. The problem is, there is no food or water source inside the courtyard, and the babies die off every. Single. Year. People have tried to supply water but no one can keep up with the needs of a mama duck and a ton of babies. Years ago I know a few family’s took a few ducklings home, but not everyone lives on a farm in the country like I do lol. I guess my thought is…. If they are going to die without help…. Can I take some home? I know it can be an issue with laws and stuff but if I called and explained maybe they would give me the ok? I know some people have blocked off the halls and herded her and her babies out an exit door through the church building but then where does she go? There’s nowhere safe for her then since they locked her out of the nest site. Was it mallards that you can cut the right dueclaw off to mark as domestic? I’m not sure I just hate to see tons of little dead ducklings that could have totally survived under different circumstances.
I have no idea this could be illegal as well I may have to look into it, but could I capture mama and move her and her eggs/ducklings? Could I take them all to a santuary of sorts? I’m not sure when exactly the eggs are supposed to hatch, but she’s been on them for at least two weeks.

Bless you for trying to help.
I would say definitely check local laws, etc, but they need a good safe space for at least a couple weeks after hatch.

Moving a broody hen and eggs is risky, especially if she is wild. Her mate is out there somewhere and they would be frantically looking for each other. Securing the area where she nests for a few weeks is probably your best bet, if the church will allow you to do so. Just a temporary fence around the space? Feed and water would need to be accessible though. She would still likely fly out occasionally, but would come back, so the area would need to be large enough for her to land back inside with the ducklings.

It’s tough this time of year, best of luck with your efforts!

Bless you for trying to help.
I would say definitely check local laws, etc, but they need a good safe space for at least a couple weeks after hatch.

Moving a broody hen and eggs is risky, especially if she is wild. Her mate is out there somewhere and they would be frantically looking for each other. Securing the area where she nests for a few weeks is probably your best bet, if the church will allow you to do so. Just a temporary fence around the space? Feed and water would need to be accessible though. She would still likely fly out occasionally, but would come back, so the area would need to be large enough for her to land back inside with the ducklings.

It’s tough this time of year, best of luck with your efforts!
Thank you very much!

Your weather would play a part here too! Rain could help, but cold/snow will make efforts harder.

Maybe you could organize some folks to help again? If you got one of the long feeders, and a large waterer (2-gallon or bigger), refilling should only be necessary every 2nd or 3rd day.
They will make a mess, but it’s temporary!
614795BB-ED02-40B5-8890-8135998C50D7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom