lonely hen?

michael777

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2018
Colorado
We had 2 chickens raised together, 7months old. One turned out to be a rooster and had to go. Is the hen going to be lonely? Can we wait till she full grown to bring in new chickens, or do we need to act know. ( not sure what kind..gift..brown egg layer) any input would be helpful.

Welcome to BYC. Yes she will be lonely as chickens are flock animals. I would recommend adding companions as soon as is possible. A minimum of 3 in a flock is a good idea because then if something happens to one, two remain as company for one another.

I agree 3 is a good balance she will want friends!
D2F05623-0DDF-4D25-894F-84A73A02D8AC.jpeg
My 3 girls :D

We had 2 chickens raised together, 7months old. One turned out to be a rooster and had to go. Is the hen going to be lonely? Can we wait till she full grown to bring in new chickens, or do we need to act know. ( not sure what kind..gift..brown egg layer) any input would be helpful.
yes she could she can die if she's lonely inof

Welcome to BYC. Yes she will be lonely as chickens are flock animals. I would recommend adding companions as soon as is possible. A minimum of 3 in a flock is a good idea because then if something happens to one, two remain as company for one another.
sounds like a game plan..thank you

Things have changed here at the house.. Need to give my 2 chickens away... will start again next spring. I have 1 buff orp. age 8 months and a white orp. age 2 1/2 yrs. I'm in broomfield co. so if your interested let me know.

Thanx

Back
Top Bottom