"Loner" Hen??

Cherterr

Songster
10 Years
May 24, 2013
Lake Somerville, Texas
I got 7 RI Red henss about a month ago, around 5 mos. old. From the beginning, one of them was always kind of a 'loner' and seemed a bit 'dumber' than the others? YESTERDAY when I went out to lock and feed, she was no where to be found.. but finally turned up behind the tarp covered hay bales looking at a puddle. She seemed entranced; just standing there and staring. It wasn't that dark yet.. so ?? I dunno. I FINALLY was able to grab her and put her in the pen with the others, but dispite available food, she just walked over the their bedding spot (with 1 other).

WHAT IS GOING ON? Is she gonna die or ?? Is she 'growing up' to become an egg layer? I'm flabbergasted.:confused: She also didn't seem interested in food this morning either and went on away from the others to forage. Or wander. She's weird. Is it early onset Alzheimer's?

She could just be low bird and hiding from the flock, especially if your coop is smaller than needed for as many birds as you have.

She could be ill.
When I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

She has PLENTY of room. The whole free range area is shaded/treed 1/4 acre aprox. and then there is the RIR coop and the Silkie coop both of which are extremely roomie.. so.....

I was out there watching and she has gone to the shadiest place (where they All like to go and dig/hang out) BUT she has hunkered down just like a broody hen. My only problem NOW is.... I'm gonna have to cut some shrubbery/vines to get TO her to pen her tonight if she doesn't come out by then. argh. 🥴

Is it possible for a NON egg laying youthful hen to be broody??

Just fyi...turned out to be fine. I think it was just her bedtime. Once I finally ushered her to tge coop..she went straight to her sleep spot with another hen.

Back
Top Bottom