Long fencing options on a budget?

I'm surprised the welds haven't broken down. Stuff from 20 years ago also is probably better quality than what's on market now. My livestock would trash welded wire, especially the damn goats.

I'm surprised the welds haven't broken down. Stuff from 20 years ago also is probably better quality than what's on market now. My livestock would trash welded wire, especially the damn goats.
Well, there is no livestock pressure on it, just to contain the dogs......yes, goats could tear it up.

Hmm, well you could install high tensile woven wire fencing cheaper than chain link in the areas where you don't need the privacy panels. I'd put the fencing inside of where you think your property line is (assuming you don't want to pay to have it surveyed), then you can legally have access to maintain the fence from both sides. I own a farm, have about 2/3 fenced in with 4 foot high HT woven wire with one strand of electric at the top to deter coyotes from jumping the fence. The spacing on the fencing is graduated, with smaller holes at the bottom, fine for adult chickens. You would still have to check the fence for critters digging under it. If you're not going to put an electric strand at the top, I might go with 5 foot depending on your predator situation. Check out Wellscroft's catalog for ideas, they're the go to supplier up here in New England, and they put on a free clinic every spring where they address installation and types of fence: <https://www.wellscroft.com>. One of your biggest expenses with ag fencing is the 8 ft (and 10 ft), 5 inch diameter pressure treated posts, they're up to $20 a pop now, you'll need them every 20 feet and will need to build H braces for corners and gates. Here's a pic of my lower field, you can see a few of the H braces at the gates.
I did spend a small fortune on fencing at my place, it was too big a job to tackle myself. I saved a little money by installing the inside fence lines myself, had the installer drive the posts for me.
You might also consider fencing a smaller area with Premier's electric netting (you'd need to buy one of their chargers, solar, battery or hard wired). I use their sheep netting in my hay field to allow my sheep to clean up after the second mowing: <https://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/fencing.php?fence_id=30>.
Chris

View attachment 1317731

Nice smooth you have there.

I purchased my home in october, it has 6ft shadowbox cedar on both sides, unconnected to the house, and the neighbor I have to the back has a 4ft chain link. I was quoted $7,000 to connect the fence to the house with two gates, and was told I needed to put up "picture frame" style cedar to the back because of the neighbor's chain link being in the way, and also because city law requires the "nice"side of the fence to face your neighbor. What a riot. I need to keep my dogs in along with my chickens and I feel the same as you do, I'm trying to protect my chickens from people more than your standard predator. I'm more afraid someone in the neighborhood is going to hurt them or take them. I'm tempted to not fence the back and leave it as the neighbor's chain link, but DH thinks if my hens are motivated they'll go over it and the back neighbors have a HUGE unfriendly ugly poodle mutt that would likely rip my birds to shreds if they went over. I have a fat buff orp and a fat wyandotte and I've never seen them fly higher than a foot off the ground, but in august I'm getting a pureblood ameraucana, a welsummer and a lavender orp. I don't know what the ameraucana and welsummer will be predisposed to doing.

Good luck with your fence. It's unfairly expensive!

Honestly, I would search your local Craigslist for "fence" and see what comes up. Often you can get used chain link from a construction project that has since been completed or remnant rolls of fencing from someone who just fenced a larger area.

For my longer fence I'm probably using 2"x4" welded wire fencing. It's about $35 for a 50 ft. roll.

If you have your corners marked, you might be able to use a laser to get a straight line between them. You may be able to make do with a small laser level (like used for picture hanging), otherwise the expense is not worth it for one project, unless you have a friend that owns one of the big boys and would help you mark your lines for a day.

Back
Top Bottom