Long Islanders.... I know you are out there

Pics
Hey everyone! I'm not exactly from Long Island, I'm actually from Queens but close enough right? I wanted to know if any of you know any local places or people in the NYC/ LI area where I can buy chicks from. I want to avoid getting them online if I can. Thanks!

Sure. Long Island Poultry in Riverhead or Agway in Riverhead have them. Also, Agway in port jefferson and I think there's still an Agway in Hicksville. Agway usually starts selling them around Easter and ends at the end of August. You can fax them an order form from their website for the # of chicks and which breeds at least two weeks prior. There's a NY state law that they must sell you a minimum of 6 if under 2 months old (I think). Best bet is to call Agway to see if they have any left for sale from the summertime. Shirley Feed in Shirley sells them only around Easter and only have a small number of breeds to choose from. Maybe you already know this, but chicks have to stay indoors until they get all their feathers (about 8 weeks) and don't start laying eggs until about 18-20 wks., so if you bought chicks now, they'd be laying eggs starting January/February. Hens usually slow down egg production with the shorter days.

I'm looking to buy chicken feed and can't find any place in NYC that really sell it, and if it is sold it's pretty pricey. The Agway/ Chestnut Vale foods in Hicksville is the relatively near me and before I make the journey to check it out I wanted to know if anyone had bought any feed from them or Agway in general? What kind of prices did you pay for chicken feed (and how much did they weight)? Any help would be great!

Hi, when I first got my chicks I purchased a small 10 lb bag of medicated chick starter by Manna Pro (at Agway). This was before I realized how much feed I would go through with 6 chicks. After that I decided to buy Agway brand starter and grower feed, at around $12(?) for a 50lb bag (don't remember exactly) and my chicks did well on it. I buy anything bulk if I can (and if I have the room) because cost is reduced significantly.

I read through all of the New Yorkers and when I went to respond to some of the LIers I couldn't find their posts./img/smilies/he.gif SO I started a new thread just for fellow islanders...I'd love to know if there are any chicken people around.....When I tell people I have chickens they look at me like I'm crazy./img/smilies/ep.gif

I'm in Smithtown, Suffolk County /img/smilies/frow.gif

PS I love the smilies

Hi, when I first got my chicks I purchased a small 10 lb bag of medicated chick starter by Manna Pro (at Agway). This was before I realized how much feed I would go through with 6 chicks. After that I decided to buy Agway brand starter and grower feed, at around $12(?) for a 50lb bag (don't remember exactly) and my chicks did well on it. I buy anything bulk if I can (and if I have the room) because cost is reduced significantly.
Thanks so much for the helpful information! I will definitely be making my way over to Agway when I get my chicks!

I live in Merrick Long Island and unfortunately have a Plymouth Rock rooster who needs a good loving home. We love him dearly but the neighbors are starting to complain. We were unaware at the time we got the chickens that one was a rooster. Any help with this is appreciated. We are looking for someone who does not cull

I live in Merrick Long Island and unfortunately have a Plymouth Rock rooster who needs a good loving home. We love him dearly but the neighbors are starting to complain. We were unaware at the time we got the chickens that one was a rooster. Any help with this is appreciated. We are looking for someone who does not cull

If no one responds, Hallockville Museum farm might be interested, as I think Plymouth Rocks qualify as an American Heritage breed. But I'd think that was a last resort, as you want a home where he'll be loved up.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I'm not exactly from Long Island, I'm actually from Queens but close enough right? I wanted to know if any of you know any local places or people in the NYC/ LI area where I can buy chicks from. I want to avoid getting them online if I can. Thanks!
Hi! We got ours from Agway in Riverhead. It's Talmage Agway, they have an order form on their website and you can see which weeks they have which breeds. You do have to order 6, some people split them with a friend. They're great!

Back
Top Bottom