How to handle this situation?

• Kill dog

• Take legal action

• Do nothing

• Other (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for understanding. I'm really banging my head against a wall. I have practically no power or say in this situation. Literally the only thing that I can personally do to end this nightmare is to 1. Kill the dog. Or 2. Try to catch him and risk him killing me. 3. Calling the police, who are not responding to any calls that are not related to the immediate threat of a human life, i.e domestic violence, mugging/burglary, etc.
I hate to say it, but it is doubtful the police will do anything at all. You can try to figure out away to trap the dog.... Maybe put food in a cage to lure it in or device one of the neck loops used to catch dogs. I wouldn't judge you at all for dispatching it though.

I thought boyfriends grandparents were property owners (where you live and tenants) and boyfriend was property manager? He can't give himself permission?

Back to the coop / shed that has something living under it. If that is adequate to protect the birds......sans whatever is living under there.......then that may be your solution. A cheap game ($30) camera from Walmart will tell you that......and you can go from there.

I hate to say it, but it is doubtful the police will do anything at all. You can try to figure out away to trap the dog.... Maybe put food in a cage to lure it in or device one of the neck loops used to catch dogs. I wouldn't judge you at all for dispatching it though.
Yup that's what I assume as well. The police here are completely useless, always have been. On my next day off I will be attempting just that, by putting the chickens somewhere else, and waiting for the dog to come sniffing around, then sneaking up and locking him in the 6x8. The only problem is that he knows he's not supposed to be here, so if he sees me before I can get to the fence, he will bolt. Going to take a lot of patience for that to work, but there's a chance.... Really banking on it.

They have a fenced in area. Some kind of predatory mammal is living under the existing chicken coop. They/it repeatedly breaks out of our live traps, damaging them. Have never seen the critter so no idea what it is. For this reason, they are currently in a temporary 6x8 chain link enclosure next to the house. Because it is cramped in there with 8 chickens, I let them free range for several hours on my days off. They are typically supervised, or at least checked on every hour. They roam no more than 40-50 feet from the actual house. They prefer staying along the house, actually, because they are afraid of the dog. They have seen him before. This was the first time they were ever left *truly* alone, and for no more time than they would have been if I was physically here.

Your coop and fenced in area isn't safe either if a critter is living in there, it is obviously coming and going in and out of there somehow. Bottom line is, if you want to keep chickens you have to have either a completely secure area to keep them in or have another plan in place that involves trained dogs, traps, guns etc. even then you will lose a few here and there. Keeping an eye on them while they free range does not work, predators can and will come in and snatch them without you even noticing. They are very good at what they do!

I would keep your chickens confined, even if it is cramped, until you get the neighbor's dog situation under control one way or another. But as I said before, even then you will be facing a multitude of other predators because chickens are easy prey. Best of luck to you.

I thought boyfriends grandparents were property owners (where you live and tenants) and boyfriend was property manager? He can't give himself permission?

Back to the coop / shed that has something living under it. If that is adequate to protect the birds......sans whatever is living under there.......then that may be your solution. A cheap game ($30) camera from Walmart will tell you that......and you can go from there.
No, he can not just decide to give himself power over something his name is not on. I don't know all the technicalities, but basically the grandma has a plan for the property and she is a very adamant person. We can't exactly just start throwing up fences wherever we feel like it. We do not have permission from the property owner to make those modifications. Unfortunately. If it were up to me and I had the funds, we would have a large moat. And a wall. I always forget trail cams are a thing.. I'll order a few, good way to document the dog too. Great idea, thanks.

Edit:Here's an analogy.... You are the manager at McDonald's. You're not the property or franchise owner, but you are definitely responsible for what happens there. You want to install a new ice cream machine and new flooring in the whole building. You absolutely do not have the authority to make those changes.

Last edited:
Your coop and fenced in area isn't safe either if a critter is living in there, it is obviously coming and going in and out of there somehow. Bottom line is, if you want to keep chickens you have to have either a completely secure area to keep them in or have another plan in place that involves trained dogs, traps, guns etc. even then you will lose a few here and there. Keeping an eye on them while they free range does not work, predators can and will come in and snatch them without you even noticing. They are very good at what they do!

I would keep your chickens confined, even if it is cramped, until you get the neighbor's dog situation under control one way or another. But as I said before, even then you will be facing a multitude of other predators because chickens are easy prey. Best of luck to you.
Yes, I am painfully aware of all these things. That is why I'm so frustrated. Everywhere I turn, brick wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom