Long-winded ventilation question(s)

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Greetings,
First, a littke background. I live in California where we only hit hard freezing temps a few days out of the year. We get frosty mornings more often than that, but not all winter. Also, I have nine chickens. Our coop is an upcycled/remodeled wooden play structure. The main building is almost 5’x5’ and about 6’ tall. Three walls have 18-inch square windows which are open all year except for during the strongest storms, in which case I close a sort of wooden shutter over one or two of them. There is also a little overhead ventilation by way of drilled holes covered in hardware cloth. This year, we grew the coop by enclosing the deck, which is about 3’x5’ sits around roost height. I cut about an 18-inch square doorway between the two “rooms”.
The upper level has a large (12-inch?) circle window, and I recently cut a vent around 39 inches wide by 3 inches (ish) tall on the adjacent wall. The coop seems nicely ventilated now. However, my buff orpington likes to roost on the steering wheel that was never removed from the deck of the play structure, which puts her comb at about the same level as the newest vent, and right beside it. Once we do hit those colder (for California... barely freezing) will she be smart enough to roost elsewhere? Should I attempt to remove the steering wheel? Also, I don’t know whether any of the roosts can get drafty. There is more roosting space than necessary. Will they resituate themselves if any areas get drafty, regardless of pecking order? Thanks for your help.

Remove the wheel if you are worried. Your temperatures aren't bad, but they can get frostbite if your air is damp. I have a faverolle last year that insisted on roosting right in front of the only quarter sized hole in my tin shed last winter. By the time I noticed she had frostbite on all her toes. She's now called No Toes. The tin has now been replaced.

Chickens get used to a certain roost spot and won't always move, and they won't move once dark sets in.

Pictures of your coop would help people see what you are describing.

I will probably have a different opinion from most on here but I will share it anyway. I don't feel you will have a problem with her being in front of that open window. I live in NY and it gets pretty cold here. I leave my windows open all year round. I have never had any issues with chickens getting sick or dying from drafts in the 15 years I have had them. I see lots of opinions on drafts being bad for chickens but have never seen any evidence of negative reactions to back that up.

I will probably have a different opinion from most on here but I will share it anyway. I don't feel you will have a problem with her being in front of that open window. I live in NY and it gets pretty cold here. I leave my windows open all year round. I have never had any issues with chickens getting sick or dying from drafts in the 15 years I have had them. I see lots of opinions on drafts being bad for chickens but have never seen any evidence of negative reactions to back that up.
Much depends on each coops unique configuration, where the vents and windows are in relation to the roosts, and the micro-climate that surrounds it. More air can be good to remove humidity that can case frostbite at freezing temps, but strong drafts (strong enough to literally ruffle feathers) can reduce a chickens capacity to hold in it's own heat and can also create a windchill effect on exposed skin.

Much depends on each coops unique configuration, where the vents and windows are in relation to the roosts, and the micro-climate that surrounds it. More air can be good to remove humidity that can case frostbite at freezing temps, but strong drafts (strong enough to literally ruffle feathers) can reduce a chickens capacity to hold in it's own heat and can also create a windchill effect on exposed skin.

What about when chickens are outside in those cold drafts? I have birds that perch outside in my run in frigid temperatures during the day even when it's windy with no issues. Are you also saying that chickens have less adequate feathers than the wild birds that roost outside all winter long?

Love the punny thread title.

What about when chickens are outside in those cold drafts? I have birds that perch outside in my run in frigid temperatures during the day even when it's windy with no issues. Are you also saying that chickens have less adequate feathers than the wild birds that roost outside all winter long?

The main difference between birds that choose to be outside during the day during frigid/breezy temps and birds who are roosting IN THE COOP AT NIGHT is this: During the day, the bird can choose to go somewhere else. At night, when the bird goes to roost, she stays put, even if the roost spot is breezy, windy, or even if she has rain or snow blowing on her. After dark, birds are pretty much helpless in terms of repositioning themselves to a more hospitable location.

Love the punny thread title.

The main difference between birds that choose to be outside during the day during frigid/breezy temps and birds who are roosting IN THE COOP AT NIGHT is this: During the day, the bird can choose to go somewhere else. At night, when the bird goes to roost, she stays put, even if the roost spot is breezy, windy, or even if she has rain or snow blowing on her. After dark, birds are pretty much helpless in terms of repositioning themselves to a more hospitable location.

I understand they don't move at night but I have seen them sit out in the wind during the day and not move either. Feathers insulate whether it is day or night. When I had guineas they would never roost in the coop they would roost in the trees even during snowstorms and they lived no problem

1637EBF7-3B64-4343-B198-2AF709BA0DAB.jpeg
Thanks for the replies. Here is the new window vent and steering wheel Cashew calls her bed...

Back
Top Bottom