Looking for a Chicken Whisperer

Sassysouth

Free Ranging
7 Years
May 12, 2016
Decatur, AL
So, I have a new hen I am trying to integrate with my bantams, particularly a Silkie Roo. For now, she has integrated herself with a hen & 4 chicks.
I put the Roo in “jail” yesterday so the new hen would come “outside”. She came outside, but then stood by him in jail. 32FBCCE6-5C07-4BB6-AE00-1D3C78990F6B.jpeg
When they were all outside together, the hen stands behind the Roo and he turns around and chases to attack her. Same if she sneaks around a corner.
Last night, she decided to roost in the coop doorway, and he wouldn’t go roost, staying as close as he could to her. The runs and coop are divided into 2 separate areas currently.
This is a very dysfunctional relationship. :D

Any thoughts @oldhenlikesdogs

So, I have a new hen I am trying to integrate with my bantams, particularly a Silkie Roo. For now, she has integrated herself with a hen & 4 chicks.
I put the Roo in “jail” yesterday so the new hen would come “outside”. She came outside, but then stood by him in jail. View attachment 1761675
When they were all outside together, the hen stands behind the Roo and he turns around and chases to attack her. Same if she sneaks around a corner.
Last night, she decided to roost in the coop doorway, and he wouldn’t go roost, staying as close as he could to her. The runs and coop are divided into 2 separate areas currently.
This is a very dysfunctional relationship. :D

Any thoughts @oldhenlikesdogs
Sounds like they like each other but their instincts say stay away from strangers, so they are unsure. To me it sounds like it's going okay and that eventually they will work it out with time.

I have found bantam roosters more likely to chase away new hens. So everything sounds normal.

Back
Top Bottom