Looking for a male saint bernard

I can read just fine. My help usually comes after the puppy buyer trashes their dogs at the pound from neglect when they can't afford the high vet bills from their unhealthy bred dogs. I have one now that has severe bilateral hip dysplasia and snarles at the slightest touch to his back end. I'll get him healthy as I can at the cost of generous donations and find him a great home before bringing in another neglected dog. You've been given the advice you asked for by I know at least one very respected large breed breeder (RR) and the same advice from others, all which was ignored. You're a BYB at its finest and that's where I come in, over and over again.

Last edited:
Also what are you suggesting I ignored?

All of my puppies are micro chipped to me and my address before going to their new homes so you should never have one of my puppies!

Every animal I get her at my house I have to rehabilitate for something or another. Your not the only hero in the world.

Oh and if you want to see a back yard breeder I can send you down the road here.

Last edited:
I used to breed and show champion miniature schnauzers and norfolk terriers. My pet norfolks sold for $2500. I showed my dogs all over the east coast. I have shown at Westminster and the Eukanuba National Championship.

My latest dog is a Great Pyrenees that I bought for $195 from a goat farm in Ohio for the purpose of guarding my goats. No hip testing, not even registered. But she is a great dog.

There is room for breeders of different opinions and quality of dogs.

Give the OP a break. I think she is doing the best she can, and learning how to improve. Everyone realizes that there are more dogs out there than what there are homes for. We all do the best we can. Her dogs look clean and healthy.

ETA: I am also an AKC Breeder Of Merit.

Last edited:
I personally have some issues with vetting animals using donations and knowingly rehoming animals that have chronic health and/or temperament issues. I also have huge issues with breeders doing things like testing hips/elbows if they do not look at the whole package. I personally trust detailed health records and buyer accounts of animals purchased and breeder honesty/accountability before I put my faith in what seem to be rather subjective and limited tests. I also personally am not typically looking for an animal that is the embodiment of whatever the modern standards call for, and have always been able to find breeders that are open about not breeding for conformity and instead breed for x,y, or z traits (health/temperament/working ability/milking traits that support longetivity and homesteading needs...in goats for that last one). That said, what other people look for in an animal will vary widely, so while I wouldn't personally buy from a rescue using donations to vet the animals they receive, or buy from a breeder who lists conformity and hips/elbows before all else...others can and will, and I think that is great that they are free to do so. :) Opinions that are very black and white in thinking are often very limited in application by default, and yes, will often be ignored. I'm not convinced that they shouldn't be.

How do you know I ignored what they said? I am a beginner breeder but thanks, see ya!
sorry, but breeding is one of those things that doesn't have a "beginner" level.

Simple reading up before hand would have told you that you could at least get a preliminary OFA reading of her hips before 2 years old.
A simple AKC event search would give you a long list of every show in your area for the entire year where you could meet and talk to breeders who are working in the breed.

That OFA tests after the pups are born is like buying auto insurance after you total the car. At this point all you can do would be to call the buyers and say "OOPS sorry. Hope your dog doesn't end up having a debilitating disease"

It was the "well, I'm going to do what I'm going to do and I don't care if it's the best way to do it or not. I don't want to wait, I want it now now now" attitude.

You see, I'm also a beginning breeder. I spent 4 years shopping for a potential litter that I wanted a dog from. The dog is now 2. In that 6 years I spent time reading, researching and mentoring with other breeders of many different breeds. I joined my local kennel club and became involved with all of their activities and seminars. I show in conformation, rally, and obedience. I did his OFAs at 2 and breathed a huge sigh of relief when they came back good/normal. I have done eye tests. Researched the health and working ability of the dogs in his pedigree. Worked closely with his breeder (who owns the breeding rights to the dog right now) on deciding who he will be bred too.
That still isn't enough to garner the attention of any "outside" people but we are getting there. He is going to be bred sometime this spring to a female owned by his breeder. He wants to continue my dog's line in his kennel. I've still got a ton of work to do before anyone else will even look at him twice as a potential stud. There are several people though who are interested in how his first litter grows out so that it a good sign.

Saying "well I'm a beginner, I didn't know" isn't an excuse. Especially when you turn around and do it a second time, still without knowing anything about the dogs you are putting together.

I have a couple wonderful mentors and I know alot about this breed since I have owned my female for 3 years now. I dont claim to know everything however. I dont have to show to breed. That does not make you a better person or breeder. I never said being a beginner breeder was an excuse for anything. I said I was a beginner breeder not a BYB but think, assume, and take your frustrations out on someone if you have too.

Alot of assuming going on....anyways here are puppy pics.

wow, you are totally ignorant. punk- a-doodle, really. why do you think people donate to rescue? so we can sit at coffee shops sharing stories on their dime? the donations go to the care of the pets in rescue. The dogs adoption fees don't even begin to cover the cost to us. we pay a lot out of pocket but thankfully most donations pay for the dogs medical needs. and he will be adopted it full disclose. Hisadopter will get support for his issue and the advantage of knowing his condition and being able to make an informed decision. Her puppy buyers won't.

I also have a hard time believing that a breeder of merit would condone this. Maybe I really am as bat crap crazy as I feel sometimes. Good luck to your puppy owners, puppies, your next litter, the next, and the next after that. I'd say you could pump another 3 or 4 litters out of them.

wow, you are totally ignorant. punk- a-doodle, really. why do you think people donate to rescue? so we can sit at coffee shops sharing stories on their dime? the donations go to the care of the pets in rescue. The dogs adoption fees don't even begin to cover the cost to us. we pay a lot out of pocket but thankfully most donations pay for the dogs medical needs. and he will be adopted it full disclose. Hisadopter will get support for his issue and the advantage of knowing his condition and being able to make an informed decision. Her puppy buyers won't.

I also have a hard time believing that a breeder of merit would condone this. Maybe I really am as bat crap crazy as I feel sometimes. Good luck to your puppy owners, puppies, your next litter, the next, and the next after that. I'd say you could pump another 3 or 4 litters out of them.

Punk-a-doodle is just a kid....seriously - like 12-14 years old. She doesn't know....

I guess I am getting lax in my old age. Not everyone can afford to buy a high dollar pet from a pristine breeder. There is a place for these puppies too, just as there are for the local hunting dogs. Are you going to try to lecture them too.

Back
Top Bottom