looking for a quiet chicken

This is my quietest chicken - she never makes a peep!!
HPIM1769-1.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist...

My silkie and d'uccle hens are both loud, could be an egg, could be something bothering them. I haven't met a quiet chicken yet. Must be the temperament of the actual hen, not the breed.

Oh - I have to second the SLW loudness. I have one SLW hen who competes with the roosters for sound. She named after a loud, obnoxious aunt, LOL.

My quietest hen is my Americana (EE) hen. I can't say I have ever really heard her "cluck", except when startled, and even then, not loud at all.

HTH-
Em

There's a fella in Texas who has been breeding & selecting for quietness. He is trying to come up with a "quiet rooster" and has had some success.

Chris

Quote:
I picked up on this part of your statement. I'm no chicken expert to be sure, but it's my understanding that chickens+garden = no garden. You can use them between the rows, in a chicken tractor perhaps, but I wouldn't turn them loose in the garden.

I'm on my first flock of urban hens so I have a small sample group, and my husband hypothesizes that noisiness is a function of a particular bird, (not just its breed), combined with its upbringing and the group dynamic...but here's what I can report on our hand-raised-from chicks ladies:

Black Australorp: Very quiet and docile. She crouches when approached, making it easy to pick her up. I only ever hear her when she seems a little nervous, or seems to be suggesting the others simmer down. She mutters in measured tones, "Now girls...let's be reasonable."

Araucana/Americana: Also very quiet, though smart, curious and assertive. She learned everything first and taught the others. She always finds the easy way out of a situation, and will approach you to see what's up, rather than shying away. We imagine she is a bit disdainful of her birdbrain coopmates, and her occasional little blips and stutters sound like, "jackass." or "idiot." And she lays beautiful green eggs!

Golden Laced Wyandotte: This one is sassy, though she usually saves it until midmorning. She apparently has a lot to complain about ("Get outta my nest box! Bring me more snacks! Bloody squirrels and their incessant chatter!"), and will do so for several hour-long sessions during he day. She also used to be the meanest, most skittish of the four, until a dog thrashed her within an inch of life. She found Jesus when she was inside recovering for about 6 weeks, and is a little nicer to be around these days.

Speckled Sussex: She is the noisiest. Also appears to be lowest in the pecking order, so maybe she's just complaining about her lot in life, I dunno. Sometimes I wonder if, in an all-female flock, there is an appointed rooster/noisemaker. She's the first up every morning, and will stand in their little doorway, screeching at the dawn. I cringe at what my neighbors must be thinking and can often be seen hurriedly pulling weeds in my pajamas at 5:30 a.m. I toss them into the run and that keeps them busy and quiet for a while.

Because our neighbors are so close (though apparently forgiving, and thankful for the eggs), I'm thinking about giving away the two noisiest (or bbqing them if we can muster the indifference), and either just keeping two, or buying a Buff Orpington and a Delaware pullet, to see if we can arrive at some serenity back there.
smile.png

My Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana pullets are just so quiet and they LOVE to be held, and believe it or not, they love to be stroked.

Now that we have a good list of quiet chickens, is there a breed that is better at pest control than others? I want quiet and no mosquitoes.

Back
Top Bottom