Looking for plans similar to....

sorry im asking these questions one at a time

do you want to build it 6 foot tall or 8 foot tall? I myself prefer 6 foot because its easier to heat if needed.

do you know what type of wire you are going to use?

(partial material list coming next)

6 foot would be preferred. :)

I was planing to use the metal hardware cloth.

And you're fine. LOL. You're helping, so ask as many as you want!

your framing materials list:

(3) 6 foot 4x4 (if 1 - 12 foot is cheaper that is fine.) used treated 4x4
(7) 8 foot 2x6 not treated
(3) 8 foot treated 2x6
(3) 10 foot 2x4 not treated
(7) 8 foot 2x4 not treated -you may not need all of these but they do come in handy for blocks during assembly.

this coop appears to have a 3 foot by 4 foot door, for that you would need:
(1) 6 foot 2x4 not treated
(1) 8 foot 2x4 not treated
(8) hinges

flower box you would use treated lumber either (2) 2x6 or (2) 2x8 either of them will be 8 feet long. and 1 - 8 foot treated 2x4 to join the flower box to the run, this will also hold your floor.

no matter what you use for the flower box floor it will rot out quick, my plans for you is to use sawmill lumber. its cheap, disposable, and wont put so much potential poison in the flowers/grass etc.

Last edited:
I've been making notes in my head on how to build a similar little planter for that 3x4x3' extension I have. It wont' last forever, but I plan to make mine with leftover 2x6' and plywood. I'll paint everything with several coats of latex paint, and then line the inside with thick plastic. I'll add some drainage holes in the plastic. I figure I'll get several years of use out of it. Good enough. It'll be too shallow to use in the summer (temps too hot in the desert), but it'll be perfect for growing 3 seasons of the year. At least it can provide shade in the summer, even if nothing will grow in it.

This is SO MUCH better than the measly piece of plywood that I was going to throw over the top of the thing for shade! I'm so excited!

Last edited:
Wow! I'd be happy to pay someone who could draw up some plans for this gem! It's 4x4 and I think it had 3 nesting boxes but I really only need 2. I saw it on Craigslist and then couldn't find it again :(

I help because I want to see more people living self sufficient. I think times are going to get really hard soon. if your prepared your chances will be a lot better.

here is the first pic, I have trouble drawing in paint, and im using a laptop so bear with me.

the 2x4 running upright does not have to be treated, but if it isn't don't let it touch the ground. I originally listed it as untreated.

the basic construction is all treated materials go against the ground. the way the boards overlap in the picture is the way it is supposed to go.

you can use screws or nails for assembly, use 3" or longer where attaching to a 4x4. use 2 1/2 inch where attaching 2x6 and 2x4.

most nails have a measurement on the box, but as a rule of thumb 16d nails in 4x4 connections. 8d nails when attaching 2 -2 inch pieces of lumber. make sure your nails don't poke though, in the event it happens bend the pointy end so it does not harm your chickens.

any questions so far?

Last edited:
this is a picture looking at the ends of the previous picture. the color codes for the lumber are still the same. have a helper when nailing this together so one of the 4x4's don't cause a knot on your head.

notice the 2x6s extend past the 4x4 post. they run even with the 2x6s running lengthways on the walls.

when assembling this, make sure all 2x6's face the outside of the coop.

ive almost confused myself explaining this LOL. any questions?

Last edited:
this is a top view with the center support installed. the support is non treated 2x6 installed to the run side of the 2x4 uprights. the length of the support should be 45 inches.

at this point you should start squaring your project. if you have a square use it every time you nail. if you don't have a square you can square it by doing the following:

measure from opposite corners (in pic top left - bottom right). make a measurement the opposite way, if they are the same it is square. if they are different, adjust until they are the same. (much more than 1/8th inch difference will cause you problems later.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom