Looking to freshen up my flock.

KM2H

Songster
May 24, 2021
Hello everyone!! I have had chickens for close to 2 years now so still consider myself a novice in the matter. Most of the chickens I have had have come to me via adoptions. I want to have a flock of my own choosing, breed wise.

My purpose is to be able to have good egg production and a source of meat that I can count on, (I know I can buy the meat birds on occasion but I want to have something in my backyard that I can count on if anything goes south).
I want to utilize my chickens the best I can so I was also thinking about getting an auto-sexing breed to I can renew my flock and even sell some chicks on occasion.
Breeds I'm thinking about are *Bielefelder for meat, some eggs and auto-sexing purposes. I will get a rooster here too.
*Black Australorp for mainly egg production.
*Minorcan for both meat and eggs (not sure if I may be confusing this breed with the Ancona but I think the Minorcan are heavier weight?)
I already have a barred rock rooster, he is 3 years old and he likes to hang out with the guineas more than with the hens at thus point.
What are your thoughts on this breeds, experience if you have had them?
Thank you all so much ❤️

PS: another thing I'm keeping into consideration is their color and predatory awareness, I had never dealt with hawks until a month ago, it has calmed down at the moment but I lost some pullets to them. My birds free range from morning to evening and it is important to me to continue to let them free range, I'm aware of the risks but in my experience my birds are happier that way.

Would you consider Cornish bantams? They aren’t like Cornish cross who have to be put on a diet if kept after kill age. They do well free range and mine layed ever day until she went broody after hindering a stash of eggs.

Would you consider Cornish bantams? They aren’t like Cornish cross who have to be put on a diet if kept after kill age. They do well free range and mine layed ever day until she went broody after hindering a stash of eggs.
I actually looked into Dark Cornish and I wouldn't mind having them. I'll have to look into the bantam ones. I normally try to keep standard size ones but I'm open.

Are you planning on maintaining pure breeds to maximize the sales potential for extra chicks or on creating a mixed flock with traits selected to suit your particular environment?

If the latter, you might find this thread interesting: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ctive-culling-project-very-long-term.1433421/
Initially, my thought was to just stick with one breed and the one I had chosen in my head was the black Australorp, after that I sort of got distracted by the thought of having a dual purpose that would give good meat return as I want to keep my numbers under control 🙃
In short I think I want a little bit of both that's why I was considering bielefelder and getting a rooster as well.
I will definitely read the article.

Now, I don't know much about keeping the flock's breed line pure, I walk into the feed store set on a particular breed for my flock, come out with all these totally different breeds ;)
But I would say Buff Orpington and the Rhode Island Red chickens are my go-to for egg and meat purposes. The breeds are dual purpose, ( the RIR can lay as many as 6-7 eggs a week, I get 5-6 a week from my Reds) and they are both pretty to look at in the flock, not to mention laying nice light brown to brown eggs. I do raise Cornish Cross a few times a year, although you have to usually butcher them on time before they start having heart related issues and health problems.
Also, my flock free ranges as well, so we have a problem with hawks too. I do find that the darker breeds blend in better with their surroundings if you live in the country or by woods than, say, Leghorns.

Now, I don't know much about keeping the flock's breed line pure, I walk into the feed store set on a particular breed for my flock, come out with all these totally different breeds ;)
But I would say Buff Orpington and the Rhode Island Red chickens are my go-to for egg and meat purposes. The breeds are dual purpose, ( the RIR can lay as many as 6-7 eggs a week, I get 5-6 a week from my Reds) and they are both pretty to look at in the flock, not to mention laying nice light brown to brown eggs. I do raise Cornish Cross a few times a year, although you have to usually butcher them on time before they start having heart related issues and health problems.
Also, my flock free ranges as well, so we have a problem with hawks too. I do find that the darker breeds blend in better with their surroundings if you live in the country or by woods than, say, Leghorns.
We have a little tree line behind our property and a conservation area just about a mile away from our property. Those breeds are a good suggestion. 👍

We have a little tree line behind our property and a conservation area just about a mile away from our property. Those breeds are a good suggestion. 👍

By the way, I have been the same way about getting tangled with too many breeds, this is why I'm trying to do my homework this time around.

Just curious how you will keep the flocks separate if they are free-ranging. The only reason I ask is if you have an auto sex breed like Bielefelders running around with other breeds, the other breed roosters will mate with them & defeat the purpose of having Autosex chicks. I do like your plan otherwise!

I have heard great things about Naked Necks as meat & egg dual breed. Supposedly the meat is tender, and they are easier to pluck due to the lack of feathers, and they lay pretty well also!

Australorps are great layers.

Just curious how you will keep the flocks separate if they are free-ranging. The only reason I ask is if you have an auto sex breed like Bielefelders running around with other breeds, the other breed roosters will mate with them & defeat the purpose of having Autosex chicks. I do like your plan otherwise!

I have heard great things about Naked Necks as meat & egg dual breed. Supposedly the meat is tender, and they are easier to pluck due to the lack of feathers, and they lay pretty well also!

Australorps are great layers.
If I go ahead with this plan I will buy and keep only a bielefelder rooster and have the other breeds as hens only. Yes not all the chicks that hatch would be able to be sexed at birth but in the event I sell some chicks I have the possibility of offering pullets, since in my area there is a mix of urban and rural communities in which roosters seem to be an issue. Any excess males can feed us as well as hens if we are not ready to incorporate more into the flock. We will definitely end up with mutts but hopefully mutts that will be good layers and have a good meat carcass. The naked necks are freaky looking but I wouldn't mind having a couple since I have heard they tend to get broody often and are good moms, I have never owned any.

Back
Top Bottom