Looking to freshen up my flock.

If I go ahead with this plan I will buy and keep only a bielefelder rooster and have the other breeds as hens only. Yes not all the chicks that hatch would be able to be sexed at birth but in the event I sell some chicks I have the possibility of offering pullets, since in my area there is a mix of urban and rural communities in which roosters seem to be an issue. Any excess males can feed us as well as hens if we are not ready to incorporate more into the flock. We will definitely end up with mutts but hopefully mutts that will be good layers and have a good meat carcass. The naked necks are freaky looking but I wouldn't mind having a couple since I have heard they tend to get broody often and are good moms, I have never owned any.
That would definitely work with just one rooster! I thought the same about Naked Necks, but DS has convinced me to add one to my order this year, and after reading more about them, I actually think they are pretty cute in their own way! And are supposed to be pretty docile which is a plus for me.

That would definitely work with just one rooster! I thought the same about Naked Necks, but DS has convinced me to add one to my order this year, and after reading more about them, I actually think they are pretty cute in their own way! And are supposed to be pretty docile which is a plus for me.
I have to definitely look into the breed more now, I have two little girls who love their chickens.

Sexlinks are a great breed if you're looking for auto sexing. They also lay a decent number of eggs (mine lay about 5 eggs a week)

I'm not entirely sure about how well they do as meat birds though. I'm allergic to meat, so I've never raised any to eat. I would assume they'd do well though as they can get quite hefty 😆 they also have wonderful personalities.

If I go ahead with this plan I will buy and keep only a bielefelder rooster and have the other breeds as hens only. Yes not all the chicks that hatch would be able to be sexed at birth but in the event I sell some chicks I have the possibility of offering pullets, since in my area there is a mix of urban and rural communities in which roosters seem to be an issue. Any excess males can feed us as well as hens if we are not ready to incorporate more into the flock. We will definitely end up with mutts but hopefully mutts that will be good layers and have a good meat carcass. The naked necks are freaky looking but I wouldn't mind having a couple since I have heard they tend to get broody often and are good moms, I have never owned any.
One of my Bielefelder hen's recently went broody. I broke her of it because I hatch mine in an incubator but I want to wait.

Sexlinks are a great breed if you're looking for auto sexing. They also lay a decent number of eggs (mine lay about 5 eggs a week)

I'm not entirely sure about how well they do as meat birds though. I'm allergic to meat, so I've never raised any to eat. I would assume they'd do well though as they can get quite hefty 😆 they also have wonderful personalities.
I thought sexlinked don't breed true for future generations when it comes to telling males and females apart. I think this is my understanding from something I think I read somewhere on the internet last night but don't quote me on it, genetics are complicated and I'm new at this.

Do they lay good for you? Have you used any for meat? I know to a lot of people chickens are pet only or eggs and pets so I hope my question is not offensive.
Yes, they were laying pretty good before they molted and then the bad weather came in. They are still laying egg's but it should pick back up soon. I'm still waiting for the younger pullet's to start laying too. I haven't butchered a Bielefelder rooster yet, as I only kept one cockerel a few month's back for breeding in the spring. I bought my start of these from hatching egg's that I bought off of ebay.

Edit: My rooster look's like he would have some good amount of meat.

Yes, they were laying pretty good before they molted and then the bad weather came in. They are still laying egg's but it should pick back up soon. I'm still waiting for the younger pullet's to start laying too. I haven't butchered a Bielefelder rooster yet, as I only kept one cockerel a few month's back for breeding in the spring. I bought my start of these from hatching egg's that I bought off of ebay.
Thank you 😊

Back
Top Bottom