Looking to freshen up my flock.

Sexlinks are a great breed if you're looking for auto sexing. They also lay a decent number of eggs (mine lay about 5 eggs a week)

I'm not entirely sure about how well they do as meat birds though. I'm allergic to meat, so I've never raised any to eat. I would assume they'd do well though as they can get quite hefty 😆 they also have wonderful personalities.

Sexlinks are not a breed. They are hybrids and the ability to sex them is only for the first generation of that cross. You can create sexlinks with barred females mated to non-barred males, resulting in solid females and barred males, or with a red/gold male over a silver female, resulting in red females (usually with a fair amount of white in the tail as adults), and white males (with red leakage on the shoulders as adults).

For example, in my flock the only birds with barring or the possibility of barring are female so while not all my chicks can be sexed, if I *do* have a barred chick show up I know that it can only be male.

Mating two sexlinks together does not produce sexlinked chicks.

Sexlinks are not a breed. They are hybrids and the ability to sex them is only for the first generation of that cross. You can create sexlinks with barred females mated to non-barred males, resulting in solid females and barred males, or with a red/gold male over a silver female, resulting in red females (usually with a fair amount of white in the tail as adults), and white males (with red leakage on the shoulders as adults).

For example, in my flock the only birds with barring or the possibility of barring are female so while not all my chicks can be sexed, if I *do* have a barred chick show up I know that it can only be male.

Mating two sexlinks together does not produce sexlinked chicks.
This is exactly what I read. A lot of people desire the sexlinked hybrids but I want the certainty that at least some of my chicks I will be able to tell apart sex wise, every time.

Back
Top Bottom