Looney Muscovy

I'm talking to my MrB about ordering a trio of ducklings for Spring 2016.

Hypothetically, a ripple male over a looney female would produce...?? I'm unfamiliar with the genetics of Muscovies, but I am definitely interested in learning!!

MrsB

I'm talking to my MrB about ordering a trio of ducklings for Spring 2016.

Hypothetically, a ripple male over a looney female would produce...?? I'm unfamiliar with the genetics of Muscovies, but I am definitely interested in learning!!

MrsB
It should give you ripple ducklings as looney is a combination of ripple and barred. Yet both genes are needed in each parent to produce the pattern. Colors will obviously depend on the parents

Ok, so I'm bumping and updating this thread after a full season of breeding!

Findings thus far:
Ripple and barred are both recessive genes (as we all knew)
So to get a looney patterned bird, the bird needs one copy of EACH from BOTH parents. Otherwise they feather out as a barred that carries ripple, or ripple that carried barred.

A breeding of a dark ripple pied drake with a blue barred pied duck resulted in (of the 6 that I kept) 3 looney (show both barred and ripple patterns) and 3 barred (that carry ripple from the drake).

Looney babies at various young ages. All the same group. You can see the ones with rippling on their tails are the true looney. The others with solid colored tails are barred carrying ripple

Attachments

• looney babies.jpg
    looney babies.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 28
  • looney butts.jpg
    looney butts.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 27
  • looney-blue barred.jpg
    looney-blue barred.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 27
  • looney ducklings2.jpg
    looney ducklings2.jpg