Rescued Muscovy female losing feathers

Post-vet update on Duck Two (official name Liliana): the bumblefoot is mild (the vet rated the severity 2/10), so we have antibiotics in tablet form... They are big chewables so I'm supposed to give them in her food but so far not much success. Also painkillers/antiinflammatories and I also have the antiseptic stuff to give her a feet a wash (vet suggested a soaked towel for her to sit on inside a pet crate for 15 minutes) and a topical cream to use.

Duck One (officially Duckarys) is so excited to get his friend back he will NOT shut up about it. My previously quiet boy has turned into a huffing and puffing machine.

Attachments

• PXL_20221019_141329066.jpg
    PXL_20221019_141329066.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20221019_141613689.jpg
    PXL_20221019_141613689.jpg
    602.6 KB · Views: 5
I should also add that the vet couldn't shed any light on her age but she is only a bit over 4 pounds! She's a tiny little thing and the vet said she's a bit thin. So I still don't know if she is just a small mature lady or a young woman.

My Muscovy females are anywhere from 4-5 lbs. here is info on giving pills
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-give-pills-to-ducks.1246505/
You could soak her feet in a bucket of warm Epsom salt water too I put both legs in it’s easier.
Hard to judge age. I’m sure with your care she’ll be health and happy in no time.
Thank you, just managed to get the pills down her bill, it's very difficult to see her glottis.

How do you soak their feet, logistically? I tried soaking her worst foot yesterday, ended up holding her tightly while sitting down with the dodgy foot held in my hand and submerged in a big mug of epsom solution. Wasn't the greatest esperience for either of us, to be honest. There's got to be a better way, right? Do you just hold them in a bucket or something?

I do I use a bucket, get the solution mixed then put both feet down inside and hold onto my duck while they soak. Most of the time they just stand there until I lift them out. I've also used a plastic dish pan and had them lay down and put a towel over them with head out so they stay. You don't want them drinking the ES water it also works as a laxative.

Back
Top Bottom