Loose air sacs on shipped eggs...

Sounds like a 10-day candling is advisable, then maybe once at Day 18 as you're upping the humidity, just to be sure the embryo hasn't expired.

Your screen name always gets to me. Hawkeye was my first ever rooster, a big Barred Rock. He set a high bar here for all those who came after him, such a great guy, my buddy.

Sounds like a 10-day candling is advisable, then maybe once at Day 18 as you're upping the humidity, just to be sure the embryo hasn't expired.

Your screen name always gets to me. Hawkeye was my first ever rooster, a big Barred Rock. He set a high bar here for all those who came after him, such a great guy, my buddy.

Aww, barred rocks are so incredibly friendly. Sounds like you had an amazing bird, there. Actually, I recall you talking about him in other posts to others. I came by the name Hawkeye because I love James Finmore Cooper's novel-- "the last of the mohicans". (the hero was Hawkeye)-- something they only mentioned once in the movie when it came out-- at the very end before the credits roll. Anyway, after reading that novel over a few times, it stuck.
big_smile.png
Thanks for the advice on my shipped eggs. I'm really excited to give this a shot, and knew I was in for more worries than with fresh eggs off my own birds. But I sure hope they do all right!

They can still develop. This is my first time dealing with shipped eggs. They all came with loose air cells. It is day 9 (they are duck eggs) and they are all developing very well. Also I've heard that if they don't settle after you let them sit then just hatch them in egg cartons and cuff off the very bottom. This makes it so that the air cell is still at the top of the egg and makes it easier for the chick to find it. People have hatched eggs with loose air cells so you should be just fine. Good Luck :D

Aww, barred rocks are so incredibly friendly. Sounds like you had an amazing bird, there. Actually, I recall you talking about him in other posts to others. I came by the name Hawkeye because I love James Finmore Cooper's novel-- "the last of the mohicans". (the hero was Hawkeye)-- something they only mentioned once in the movie when it came out-- at the very end before the credits roll. Anyway, after reading that novel over a few times, it stuck.
big_smile.png
Thanks for the advice on my shipped eggs. I'm really excited to give this a shot, and knew I was in for more worries than with fresh eggs off my own birds. But I sure hope they do all right!
That movie remake with Daniel Day-Lewis is my very favorite! Yup, love the name Hawkeye.

They can still develop. This is my first time dealing with shipped eggs. They all came with loose air cells. It is day 9 (they are duck eggs) and they are all developing very well. Also I've heard that if they don't settle after you let them sit then just hatch them in egg cartons and cuff off the very bottom. This makes it so that the air cell is still at the top of the egg and makes it easier for the chick to find it. People have hatched eggs with loose air cells so you should be just fine. Good Luck :D
Great advice on the carton! I'm using the Brinsea Oct 20-- it might be kind of hard to fit that in there, but I don't have it too full right now, either. They are all bantam eggs in there and tiny.

That movie remake with Daniel Day-Lewis is my very favorite! Yup, love the name Hawkeye.
Oh Drool!!!! I used to have a thing for Daniel Day-Lewis after that movie! LOL I still think Madeline Stow is gorgeous! I was candling some silkie eggs I have in there today and had to restrain myself from candling the shipped Rosecombs! LOL They are on Day 6 now, I think. I'm going to take your advice and not touch them until after Day 10 to see what's happening.

i was reading your post about the air cell detatched i just recieved some eggs that also was shipped and half had detatched air cells i to have left them alone and not touched to much i was wondering how your hatch turned out

Turkey Lover, how did your hatch turn out? I have eggs in the incubator right now with detached air cells and I hope they do okay!

I got 16 eggs shipped to me that came with nearly all of the air sacs loose. I candled them this weekend (day 8) and only one or two are even sort of looking like something might be in there. :(

I got 16 eggs shipped to me that came with nearly all of the air sacs loose. I candled them this weekend (day 8) and only one or two are even sort of looking like something might be in there. :(  

Aw, I'm sorry!!! I haven't had good luck with detached aircells in the past. I hope these do okay, I am planning on candling them on day 8, also. Today is only day 4 for me. How have you been setting your eggs with the detached aircells? I just have mine in cut out paper carton cups. You have to keep us posted if any of them hatch! I pray they do for you!!!

Thanks. It was a cheap purchase ($2 for the 16 eggs), so I'm not out much other than time and some disappointment. I have them upright in an automatic turner. The other two batches I ordered at the same time seem to be doing well.

Back
Top Bottom