LOS ANGELES county CA under bird quarantine :(

Pics
I've read this entire thread and I've been following the vND info in California since I first heard about it.

Quite frankly, I would never allow anyone on my property to euthanize my birds, I would take care of it myself and leave the bodies in bio bags for disposal or cremate them. My flock isn't the only concern, so is my neighbors so and I have to think about the good of all and not my emotional attachment to my chickens. Sadly, the states lack of biosecurity has been a problem from the beginning.

For those in the zone, I feel for you. We have declined visiting CA this summer for a family reunion because of vND. I don't want to bring it home and, obviously, dumping sick chickens in the landfill to feed other birds causes some concern.

When people are emotional over their pets and can't do the right thing themselves, it stands to reason they'll be angry if the person who does it doesn't do it the way the pet owner wants. These poorly trained people have to kill a lot birds and deal with those emotional owners, so it's not a pleasant situation for them either. This is not an excuse for inhumane treatment by any stretch, I'm simply pointing out that the job these people are doing involves a lot of death and heartbreak. They are human and likely feel they have some risk from distraught pet owners. When people are videoing what's happening it creates even more tension.

Good luck to everyone, I hope the state can get its act together. It sure as hell couldn't when I lived there but hopefully things will change with awareness of what's going on, especially where biosecurity is concerned. It does no good for you to practice it if the state doesn't.

I did a quick search for fighting cocks. I searched in English and in Spanish (the only languages I know are English, Spanish, and ASL, or I might have searched others). Dear lord, there are so many operations in CA calling themselves "breeders" and "bird exhibitionists." But when they have ads for knives and boots, it's pretty clear what they truly are. I found several lists that show where in California you can get really great gallos de pelea and have them shipped to Mexico. USA gamecocks are highly sought after, apparently, and galleros will pay top dollar for them. Found some gallos de pelea for sale on Craigslist, too. Don't know how hard it is to find and prosecute cockfighting rings, but finding the breeders and their customers is super easy. They move birds in and out of the US with frequency and relative ease, if what I read is accurate. And vND is present in Central and South American countries. With the political climate what it is in CA, no government entity is going to come out and say that vND is being brought to the US across the southern border (although the CDFA makes it mighty obvious in their risk factor reports). Of course, there are plenty of others who are contributing to prolonging this current outbreak, but the smuggling of birds back and forth between the US and countries where cockfighting is an accepted - no - cherished tradition is a great place to start. Backyard owners, like most of us here on BYC, pay the price because we are responsible and follow rules. And none of this would matter if the poultry and egg industries weren't harmed. I get that. But those in charge need to be more transparent and certainly more compassionate. More compassion is always a good idea.

Last edited:
I've read this entire thread and I've been following the vND info in California since I first heard about it.

Quite frankly, I would never allow anyone on my property to euthanize my birds, I would take care of it myself and leave the bodies in bio bags for disposal or cremate them. My flock isn't the only concern, so is my neighbors so and I have to think about the good of all and not my emotional attachment to my chickens. Sadly, the states lack of biosecurity has been a problem from the beginning.

For those in the zone, I feel for you. We have declined visiting CA this summer for a family reunion because of vND. I don't want to bring it home and, obviously, dumping sick chickens in the landfill to feed other birds causes some concern.

When people are emotional over their pets and can't do the right thing themselves, it stands to reason they'll be angry if the person who does it doesn't do it the way the pet owner wants. These poorly trained people have to kill a lot birds and deal with those emotional owners, so it's not a pleasant situation for them either. This is not an excuse for inhumane treatment by any stretch, I'm simply pointing out that the job these people are doing involves a lot of death and heartbreak. They are human and likely feel they have some risk from distraught pet owners. When people are videoing what's happening it creates even more tension.

Good luck to everyone, I hope the state can get its act together. It sure as hell couldn't when I lived there but hopefully things will change with awareness of what's going on, especially where biosecurity is concerned. It does no good for you to practice it if the state doesn't.
Yes to all of this. Well said.

There are always people who come on here far into the thread, don't read any of it then pass judgement based on the little they know. ...

As you well know, this conversation has been going on for months over a number of threads and I freely confess I haven't made following and contributing to all of them a daily occupation.

My pet peeve is the people who aren't subject to this disease who have all these problems with the agencies tasked with preventing its spread to those of us in the quarantine zone who still have healthy flocks and the people who are beating their brows about how the authorities -- or more specifically their hired guns -- are doing it when they have EVERY OPPORTUNITY to do it themselves in the way that they feel is the most humane.

Last edited:
Yes! Absolutely! I am equally as bothered by people who don't take into consideration the human condition.

Mind explaining the "human condition" to me because as a human being subject to 1) the terms of the CDFA edicts and 2) the threat of losing my birds to vNC or "depopulation", I thought I was in touch with it. [OK, that was a little glib but meant sincerely.]

What I'm saying is I've dealt with all of this in a very real way, placed myself squarely in proportion to the larger threat -- at least in theory -- for the present, thank god -- and formed my plan to dispatch my birds if necessary. That doesn't mean I think it will be easy or that I won't be crying through it. But, if it's necessary, they're mine and so it's mine to do whatever the personal pain!

Just like the rest of you I got chickens in the first place because I wanted to care for them. I wanted my eggs to come from birds who I knew lived a good life 'cause I made it good for them. I resolved from the beginning to let them live out their lives past their egg-laying years. I still want all of that and I want it for others -- because I'm aware I'm not the only person on the planet. So I will do what it's necessary to do in the short run to protect my rights and my chickens' futures for the long run. AND everyone else's. I think that's the obligation of anyone else who has taken the responsibility of animals and living in a community with others.

Last edited:
As you well know, this conversation has been going on for months over a number of threads and I freely confess I haven't made following and contributing to all of them a daily occupation.

My pet peeve is the people who aren't subject to this disease who have all these problems with the agencies tasked with preventing its spread to those of us in the quarantine zone who still have healthy flocks and the people who are beating their brows about how the authorities -- or more specifically their hired guns -- are doing it when they have EVERY OPPORTUNITY to do it themselves in the way that they feel is the most humane.

Some of these moms and families see them as pets-only. They don't process for food and assumed that when the time came they could take their pet to a vet. Now it's illegal for them to transport to the vet. First culls are difficult for anyone and the uc davis method shown is not technically easy for anyone who hasn't done it, let alone with emotional issues around it.

That said, I think we all should have hands-on experience in doing culls so that we can do them when the time comes--but that first-hand experience is hard to get, and without a farm reason, people don't want to just sacrifice a healthy productive egglayer for no reason. Some people in the zone ARE trying to get their birds dispatched prior. They're reaching out to sob because they're terrified of having anonymous killers without id show up in the yard, and other sobers with cull skills are in fact helping them.

First culls are difficult for anyone...

Tell me about it! If I have to do it I'm talking about my first cull and something I NEVER thought I'd have to do.

I'm not pretending ANY of this is easy but sometimes Life and circumstances require things of us that we have to find the character to do. ...because they're the right thing and the responsible thing for our birds, for our futures and for the communities we belong to and have obligations to.

Tell me about it! If I have to do it I'm talking about my first cull and something I NEVER thought I'd have to do.

I'm not pretending ANY of this is easy but sometimes Life and circumstances require things of us that we have to find the character to do. ...because they're the right thing and the responsible thing for our birds, for our futures and for the communities we belong to and have obligations to.
No one is arguing with this sentiment. I love my chickens like I love my dog like I love my cats. Would we even have this conversation if folx's dogs were being forcibly euthanized? Compassion. Empathy. I have no doubt you are a fantastic chicken mama. That is very clear based on your words. But honoring "human condition" IMO means understanding others' feelings and communication styles rather than condemning them for doing what they feel is right. Do I agree that euthanasia is a necessary step? From all I've read, yes. But I will not judge others nor dismiss the suffering of those whose shoes I've not occupied.

Perhaps questioning the procedures and requiring better communication is for the greater good. Maybe that is the responsible thing to do. Perhaps we should consider that possibility.

Back
Top Bottom