Losing Toes!

So I did cleanse her toes with some peroxide last night. We will be getting some Epson salt today. She is such a good girl and seemed to realize I was trying to make it better for her. She even let me bathe her. She absolutely loved the part where I wrapped a warm towel around her and held her like a baby. And she seemed to "purr" when I stroked the back of her head. The little ladii is definitely spoiled! One thing I have noticed, a lot of people say the chickens won't show weakness around the others because the others may taunt and torture them.... Sooooo NOT the case with these three. My Roo and other hen actually seem protective of her, making sure she eats first, encouraging her to follow them around clucking in the yard, and they stopped roosting and started cuddling in a group with her since her feet are bothering her. It's kinda cute and reminds me of how kids want to be around their momma to make her feel better. As she hadn't gone broody as of yet I know they aren't her hatchlings. It absolutely amazes me. She has a really strong support team from her coop mates and her human family! 8m crossing my fingers that she pulls through this ordeal.

So I did cleanse her toes with some peroxide last night. We will be getting some Epson salt today. She is such a good girl and seemed to realize I was trying to make it better for her. She even let me bathe her. She absolutely loved the part where I wrapped a warm towel around her and held her like a baby. And she seemed to "purr" when I stroked the back of her head. The little ladii is definitely spoiled! One thing I have noticed, a lot of people say the chickens won't show weakness around the others because the others may taunt and torture them.... Sooooo NOT the case with these three. My Roo and other hen actually seem protective of her, making sure she eats first, encouraging her to follow them around clucking in the yard, and they stopped roosting and started cuddling in a group with her since her feet are bothering her. It's kinda cute and reminds me of how kids want to be around their momma to make her feel better. As she hadn't gone broody as of yet I know they aren't her hatchlings. It absolutely amazes me. She has a really strong support team from her coop mates and her human family! 8m crossing my fingers that she pulls through this ordeal.

She sounds like a sweetie!
Sounds like you have a care plan in place.

FWIW Peroxide is ok for an initial cleansing, but it can further damage skin if used long term. Epsom salts, betadine or Chlorhexidine would be better for soaking, but epsom salts is usually the easiest to find and works fairly well.

Keep us posted on her progress.

So I talked to the woman who used to date the guy we got our Bantums from. Turns out that our hen is not so young after all. She let me know that the older some of his hens got they would lose toes. It seems this is a hereditary thing. She did say that the ones who did lose toes still got around just fine, which our Lady seems to do. Still soaking in Epsom salt each night to keep her toes clean and as healthy as possible. She didn't seem to mind at all last night. I just hate the thought of my sweet ladii having to go through this.

This is the second post I have read in the past few days of chickens on wire having injury to their feet. Even if the wire is not responsible, it is not a good surface to keep them on, but I am wondering if the wire is actually heating up with sun on it and causing burns. Perhaps the sun is being magnified onto the wire through a window. I appreciate that you are getting info via a third party that the previous owner had problems with birds losing toes but it seems unusual that I have only read two posts of such injuries and both were on wire and the weather was hot.

So I talked to the woman who used to date the guy we got our Bantums from. Turns out that our hen is not so young after all. She let me know that the older some of his hens got they would lose toes. It seems this is a hereditary thing. She did say that the ones who did lose toes still got around just fine, which our Lady seems to do. Still soaking in Epsom salt each night to keep her toes clean and as healthy as possible. She didn't seem to mind at all last night. I just hate the thought of my sweet ladii having to go through this. @DJMCCMatthews glad you were able to find out some history on your hen.

@rebrascora I think I saw another post similar this week as well, but didn't make the connection about being kept on wire. Good catch. Possibly wire heating up, but wondering if wrong type of wire is used - too rough-enough to break down the foot for infection to begin. Feet on this post and I believe on the other one look necrotic. Only other thing is could be that toes are getting hung/strangled and are dying off because lack of blood flow.

I know commercial poultry operations do house on wire, but wandering if the wire is different.

They are let out to free range during the day when it's hot. Also they were in an all wood coop when this began. I doubt this is and issue with the wire bottom of the coop I switched them to. But I appreciate bringing it up. We have been considering putting a wooden bottom to it instead.

Last edited:
They are let out to free range during the day when it's hot. Also they were in an all wood coop when this began. I doubt this is and issue with the wire bottom of the coop I switched them to. But I appreciate bringing it up. We have been considering putting a wooden bottom to it instead.
Ahhh...thought maybe they had been on wire flooring all their lives, but they had this problem when you got them, so wire wouldn't be a factor in your case.

Just looking at ther possibilities.
smile.png

Any improvement?

Last edited:
It looks like her other toes may eventually fall off but no new losses since the second one. Her "stubs" look to be healing well and look healthy otherwise. Now that they are mostly healed she seems less mopey and moves around a lot better. She is still lazy and likes to be held. We had them in their run and had given our amerecaunas a day in the yard but last night our boys wanted to love on one of them. So we got her out and she just ate up all the attention. She likes to perch on my chest and will lay her head up against my neck (much like a baby). I believe she will be fine now that I know how to care for her feet better. My hunny has some pics of us loving on her. I'll get them later and post.

Last edited:
It looks like her other toes may eventually fall off but no new losses since the second one. Her "stubs" look to be healing well and look healthy otherwise. Now that they are mostly healed she seems less mopey and moves around a lot better. She is still lazy and likes to be held. We had them in their run and had given our amerecaunas a day in the yard but last night our boys wanted to love on one of them. So we got her out and she just ate up all the attention. She likes to perch on my chest and will lay her head up against my neck (much like a baby). I believe she will be fine now that I know how to care for her feet better. My hunny has some pics of us loving on her. I'll get them later and post.

I'm glad she seems to be improving.

Would love to see the photos
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom