lost 3 chickens to our dog. what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would NOT recommend tying a dead anything around the dogs neck. The ability for the dog to link the stink to the act is not there. It is a cruel thing to do to a dog you "love".

I agree with 21. Do NOT tie a dead chicken to your dog. Terrible idea.

I am a zoologist so it is part of my expertise. you must remember that dogs are actually gray wolves! So it׳s a natural thing for them to chaise and hunt anything that they can kill. So if you mix dog an chicken together you will have war casualties on your hand, it is only a matter of time! Another thing that you have to consider is that the present of dogs near the chickens is very stressful for the chickens and this stress is an encouraging background for eruption of disease in the floc! For example the connection between stress am Marek׳ s disease is quit known. So I recommend to every one to separate totally this animals and do not take a chance on this!

I am a zoologist so it is part of my expertise. you must remember that dogs are actually gray wolves! So it׳s a natural thing for them to chaise and hunt anything that they can kill. So if you mix dog an chicken together you will have war casualties on your hand, it is only a matter of time! Another thing that you have to consider is that the present of dogs near the chickens is very stressful for the chickens and this stress is an encouraging background for eruption of disease in the floc! For example the connection between stress am Marek׳ s disease is quit known. So I recommend to every one to separate totally this animals and do not take a chance on this!
I respectfully disagree. Not EVERY dog will chase and kill your chickens. My last dog spent most of his time mingling with the flock, and actually acted as a flock leader. He broke up fights between the hens, and watched over the younger ones. My chickens were not stressed in the least bit by him. He never, ever killed, chased, or attacked a chicken. Before you tell me that this is an isolated incident, please check out other threads - you will see plenty of them where dogs and chickens can get along. I know, there are also ones where they don't, but I want it to be clear that not every dog will kill your chickens. Especially if the owner has put time and effort into training the dog not to do so.

Quote: Agrees with bobbi-j. I've read a TON of stories, with pics, of dogs peacefully coexisting with free range chickens.
Sometimes it's the dog, sometimes it's the people training the dog....Some dogs are scared to death of the chickens.

My chickens are confined, my dog loves to run the fence and search for 'gifts'......
.....one chicken will chase him back and forth along the fence and try to peck his nose, it' almost a game of tag.
None of the chickens are concerned with my dog...but...if a new dog comes along (a new anything, even people) they are definitely concerned and huddle in the corner as far away from new dog as as possible. Once they learn to get used to that new dog coming around, they are no longer afraid if it.

My dogs, who were never raised around chickens until 2 1/2 years ago, are great with the birds. I wouldn't call the chickens stressed at all.... they will come up and peck bugs of the ground from between the dogs' feet while they sit there looking down at them. Now, I do have a 4 month old GSD that's still learning and I won't trust him loose around the birds for several months yet, but he's learning from the other dogs that chickens aren't prey and they aren't toys. I have 2 other GSDs and one Decker Rat Terrier. So yeah.. I'd have to disagree that dogs and chickens never mix and make the chickens nervous. Heck, my rat terrier and one of my GSDs saved one of my hens from a coyote attack. It's all in how you raise and train them, "mostly". I will say that there are probably certain dogs that simply have too high a prey drive and perhaps not a strong enough pack leader to ever be safe around chickens.

I respectfully disagree. Not EVERY dog will chase and kill your chickens. My last dog spent most of his time mingling with the flock, and actually acted as a flock leader. He broke up fights between the hens, and watched over the younger ones. My chickens were not stressed in the least bit by him. He never, ever killed, chased, or attacked a chicken. Before you tell me that this is an isolated incident, please check out other threads - you will see plenty of them where dogs and chickens can get along. I know, there are also ones where they don't, but I want it to be clear that not every dog will kill your chickens. Especially if the owner has put time and effort into training the dog not to do so.

Same with my dog, he's a Golden Retriever and has never hurt any of the chickens. We brought chickens home one day and he was fine with it
idunno.gif

I have a friend whose pit bull killed a pullet. They put the dog and the dead bird in the dog's kennel for the day, only letting the dog out to use the bathroom. The dog no longer wants anything to do with the chickens. The chicken wasn't in there long enough to rot and this particular dog didn't like the bird once it was dead. I'm sure a different dog might have had a great time tearing the chicken to shreds but for this dog it worked.
My dogs are 35lbs and 10lbs and they do not chase the chickens. The small dog grew up with 2 of my hens and actually thinks he is one of them. He even tries to eat their food with them. I gave them spinach this afternoon and he was right in with them munching away!
smile.png

We have 3 dogs. Our Golden acts like a mother and loves the chickens. Our Dachshund pays no attention to them which is the one that we thought we would have a problem with because she kills an average of 12 animals a year that gets into our property. It is our Shepard that goes after them. We got her a muzzle this week that she wears when she goes outside and she "HATES IT". Now we have the hawk to deal with that got one today. At this rate I will have none left in 2 months. I was really wanted free range chickens. Luckily my hubby is building a HUGE run.

Last edited:
Hi to all
I have spoked in general terms and all of you spoked from yours personal experience, And with all due respect,personal experience does not replaces scientific research.
Dogs are wolves, white instincts and predatory nature as wolves. All of us read or heard about chickens that have been killed or injured because a dog attack. Truth there are dog breeds mor prone to attack than outer, but all dogs in the right (wrong?) circumstances can become fierce predators! This is the problem white feral dogs, they dont have fear frome humans, because they are dogs, and they pray like wolves, as they are!

Last edited:
Another simple fix is a zap collar...

Just make sure you only use the control in your pocket so the dog doesn't associate it with the pain.

Put the control in you pocket when you get dressed and put the collar on the dog before you let it out, watch from far enough way she thinks your not there and anytime she shows interest in the birds hit the button.

Dead chicken may or may not work on the cage, not a bad idea but what if the dog eats it? Than you have another problem.

Any decent trained dog can be taught to leave them alone either with the collar or a beating, sometimes they catch a good whooping that's all it takes, they don't want any part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom