Lost a chicken today. Pleas help me identify the predator. GRAPHIC PHOTO ATTACHED.

Such a shame, I am so sorry. What was interesting to me was that the predator didn't bother with the head or neck, just left her with that huge gaping hole. Our chickens have been free range for their short 9 month life span and unfortunately we will have to keep them locked up from now on. Our run has a roof over it, I'm hoping that will be helpful. It's such a loss, they were so happy roaming about everyday! Every time we keep them locked in they just wait by the run door all day, waiting to be let out. I need to research some ideas to keep them busy.
Rooster killed in poster above has three brothers with similar hatch date where they are about 18 months old. All free-range even with owl issue. I had to tweak roost situation to stop owl. Owl still comes in but cannot get at roosting birds without activating anti-predator measures. Most birds, young and hens are penned when owl gets to be an issue but that generally short term.

We had the same exact thing happen to one of our chickens today. Apparently our girl was attacked near her coop then taken into the wooded area behind our house where her head was eaten. We were able to follow a few feathers and about 6 feet from the coop was her body and a huge mess of feathers. There is no way a "hawk" could have flown away with her due to the tree branches. Is a hawk the only thing that would kill like that during the day in a residential area. Dog and other chickens were outside, but our other girls took cover and apparently scared to death. It took us forever to find them.

I was missing a small bantam cochin hen a few days ago. A couple days after she went missing, I found a huge pile of her feathers, but no body bits. Just the feathers, right at the edge of the woods, back in a brushy area. About a 4' wide pile. I was assuming fox, but I'm thinking hawk did the killing, something else took off with the carcass?

Was the small cochin hen in a residential area or out in the country? I've had similar issues, and wondered if a fox would show itself with houses within 40 yards or so during the day. Couldn't decide if it was fox or hawk.

Last edited:
Was the small cochin hen in a residential area or out in the country?  I've had similar issues, and wondered if a fox would show itself with houses within 40 yards or so during the day. Couldn't decide if it was fox or hawk.

Kinda both lol. I live in the back of a subdivision, with a very large wooded area behind me. My neighbors have seen a fox on more than one occasion, but I've not seen it. I had a hawk swoop down a few weeks ago, while I was out filling feeders. Had my OEGBs out at the time, they flew for cover behind me, then I spotted the hawk. I kept everyone locked up for a long time after that!.

A fox would come that close to houses. They can be pretty brazen at times. 

Yep, it was before dark when my neighbors spotted the fox. It went right between our houses, which are a few hundred yards apart.

We lost one of our poor girls today. Please help me identify the predator so I can do my best to protect the rest of our flock. The photo is graphic so beware.

Definitely a Raptor. Very likely a Red Tail Hawk.

It looks like the capture of free-range American Dominique cock was made about 20-30 feet away and like always the owl began feeding before the kill was completed.

After the cock went through his death struggles he ended up in the final location.

YouTube is filled with videos of hawks eating live birds.

Nature is not kind, loving, or pretty, just the opposite.

Last edited:
Rooster killed in poster above has three brothers with similar hatch date where they are about 18 months old.  All free-range even with owl issue.  I had to tweak roost situation to stop owl.  Owl still comes in but cannot get at roosting birds without activating anti-predator measures.  Most birds, young and hens are penned when owl gets to be an issue but that generally short term.

Earl medcalf
I've read some of your replies to other posts and think you might be able to help me.

I too found my hen dead today. This was almost like a pet; she'd fly over her tall fence and run up to the house and look into the patio glass for me. She's free herself and run to my car when I pulled in, jump into the car when I opened the door and just sit on my lap. She'd get out and find me on the porch just to sit in my lap. Weird but I grew to enjoy that this gen loved me so much. This is the gen that was killed.
I have a chicken coop she's that has three fenced areas-all open to only my 3 hens. This morning I find 2 hens in the coop (never locked up at night and fence is tall but has no top). My friendly hen was dead in the furthest fence area (where they barely go but the go). 2 live hens inside, 4 meat rabbits inside. 1 dead gen outside. Neck feathers missing and a small bit eaten on side-other than that full carcass and head remains. No prints or digging or evidence of what did it.
I wondered if you know what eats little and doesn't leave tracks? I'd like to try to save the other animals but am going away in an hour. I moved my 2 small dogs back out to this area as protectors (same shed but seperately penned and fenced). They seem to help (as long as they are separate) but probably not from an aerial attack.

Any insight helpful, thanks

Earl medcalf
I've read some of your replies to other posts and think you might be able to help me.

I too found my hen dead today. This was almost like a pet; she'd fly over her tall fence and run up to the house and look into the patio glass for me. She's free herself and run to my car when I pulled in, jump into the car when I opened the door and just sit on my lap. She'd get out and find me on the porch just to sit in my lap. Weird but I grew to enjoy that this gen loved me so much. This is the gen that was killed.
I have a chicken coop she's that has three fenced areas-all open to only my 3 hens. This morning I find 2 hens in the coop (never locked up at night and fence is tall but has no top). My friendly hen was dead in the furthest fence area (where they barely go but the go). 2 live hens inside, 4 meat rabbits inside. 1 dead gen outside. Neck feathers missing and a small bit eaten on side-other than that full carcass and head remains. No prints or digging or evidence of what did it.
I wondered if you know what eats little and doesn't leave tracks? I'd like to try to save the other animals but am going away in an hour. I moved my 2 small dogs back out to this area as protectors (same shed but seperately penned and fenced). They seem to help (as long as they are separate) but probably not from an aerial attack.

I'm not Earl Metcalf, but I can tell you that you need to put a cover on your run. There are several predators that can climb up your fence into the run. Raccoons, opossums and mink to name a few. Several posters on the forum have mentioned fox climbing fences, too. Now that something has found your chicken buffet, it will be back.

Earl medcalf

Very sorry about your loss. We, too, lost 2 free-roaming silkies today, Elvis our rooster and Magda, a hen. Their sister was able to hide under a hosta, and finally came out when she recognized she was safe. Both birds were half eaten, guts spilled out, heads were intact and feet were left. I'm thinking a bird of prey. Nature is not pretty ... I have heard that if barely any of the dead bird is eaten, it is most likely a racoon (also if the head is missing, but the rest of the bird is still there). They are "wasteful" eaters.

Back
Top Bottom