Lost a hen

Yesterday I lost one of my hens. I am currently away and have someone looking after my chickens. Unfortunately the automatic door malfunctioned and I had him take it off.
I had not had any issues with wild predators before, although there was a opossum that did steal eggs in the evening.
Anyway, he sent me a photo of the remains.
Can anyone tell what may had done this?
I am in deep south Texas where it's very dry, so that eliminates critters that live near water.
I am attaching the photo that he sent me.
I am not sure where the egg was but seeing that much hay outside is strange.
Possums open up the chest and stomach and eat their organs

Thank you all. I know that a possum was stealing eggs from my other coop at the other side of the same backyard. I caught him in the run when I came to lockup for the night. I beat the crap out of it with a 2X4 but could not kill it as I could not get enough of a swing to generate the required force. It was under the chicken coop, which is 2 feet above ground.

I was told that there are coons in the area but I have never seen one.

What's really annoying is that there were only young 2 hens in that coop and a bunch of young roosters (I know, not ideal but I has not had the chance to process or give them away yet). Why couldn't the damn predator taken one of the roosters?
I just got back home tonight so I will find out which hen was killed, but whichever it is I will be very upset. Both are/were special in their own way.

Thank you all. I know that a possum was stealing eggs from my other coop at the other side of the same backyard. I caught him in the run when I came to lockup for the night. I beat the crap out of it with a 2X4 but could not kill it as I could not get enough of a swing to generate the required force. It was under the chicken coop, which is 2 feet above ground.

What's really annoying is that there were only young 2 hens in that coop and a bunch of young roosters (I know, not ideal but I has not had the chance to process or give them away yet). Why couldn't the damn predator taken one of the roosters?
I just got back home tonight so I will find out which hen was killed, but whichever it is I will be very upset. Both are/were special in their own way.
Ugh, I'm so mad for you!

Ugh, I'm so mad for you!
It was a possum. This morning I went to feed the chickens and my friend was already there.
He said that when he opened the nesting box, the possum was inside it, sleeping.
He thought he killed it with a hoe. I said that it may be playing dead and went back to the house and got my .22LR rifle.
It was playing dead and I made an honest animal out of it.
It was a big one too.

Attachments

• IMG_20240227_084451.jpg
    IMG_20240227_084451.jpg
    944.4 KB · Views: 5
It was a possum. This morning I went to feed the chickens and my friend was already there.
He said that when he opened the nesting box, the possum was inside it, sleeping.
He thought he killed it with a hoe. I said that it may be playing dead and went back to the house and got my .22LR rifle.
It was playing dead and I made an honest animal out of it.
It was a big one too.
Also, it turns out that it was not one of the hens from this coop. He killed a young hen from another coop. Poor thing just started laying 2 weeks ago.

The only way to keep them out is to cover all openings and vents with 1/2" hardware cloth (attaching it securely leaving no gaps larger than 1/2") You also need an apron around all sides unless you have a floor. Half the battle is the having the right set up which can take a while! I'm sorry for your loss but glad you found what killed them.I had to spend a couple months covering everything with hardware cloth and making an apron but haven had any losses

Raccoons will bring family members like possums and kill roosters too. They also open simple latches so carabiner's are recommended on doors .I've had both bring their family members here looking for a way in .I rarely see a coon but it doesn't mean they aren't coming often

Back
Top Bottom