"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I got my first egg from my Basque hens today. So exciting! Not a bad size for a pullet egg!
a5ymehe8.jpg
Oh crumb!!! I had just convinced myself that I didn't need any Basque hens!!

Congratulations!! please tell us all the pros & cons about them!

Terri - I haven't found any cons yet lol! They are very friendly and "talk" to us a lot! They are excellent foragers and they always run to the brush pile to check for mice when we let them out. I've lost several birds to hawks, but none of them were Basques. The summer heat didn't phase them, even on the hottest days when my other birds were panting. They are supposed to lay around 220 eggs per year, but I'll have to get back to you on that one. ;) I really do like the breed so far. I'm pretty sure this is the girl who gave us the egg today.

y9yresu8.jpg

Terri - I haven't found any cons yet lol! They are very friendly and "talk" to us a lot! They are excellent foragers and they always run to the brush pile to check for mice when we let them out. I've lost several birds to hawks, but none of them were Basques. The summer heat didn't phase them, even on the hottest days when my other birds were panting. They are supposed to lay around 220 eggs per year, but I'll have to get back to you on that one. ;) I really do like the breed so far. I'm pretty sure this is the girl who gave us the egg today.
y9yresu8.jpg
Oo she is pretty and I know I don't need any more hens, none of my 12 are laying how sad is that :(

Mzstre where did you get your Basque hens from?

How's everybody like this chilly weather this morning? I'm going into even chillier - quick trip to Wisconsin this weekend - my MIL turns 88 on Sat & we are throwing a surprise birthday party for her. I'm flying up tomorrow & back on Monday - hopefully with some fresh picked apples!
droolin.gif

Mzstre where did you get your Basque hens from?

How's everybody like this chilly weather this morning? I'm going into even chillier - quick trip to Wisconsin this weekend - my MIL turns 88 on Sat & we are throwing a surprise birthday party for her. I'm flying up tomorrow & back on Monday - hopefully with some fresh picked apples!
droolin.gif

I'm still inside waiting for it to warm up some, I do not care for coolness to much, it feels good when I'm hot but I can deal with hot a lot better than cold LOL

Well I hope you have a good and fun trip Terri, better bring a good warm set of clothes or money enough to purchase the proper apparel for that climate.

Jeff

I'm still inside waiting for it to warm up some, I do not care for coolness to much, it feels good when I'm hot but I can deal with hot a lot better than cold LOL

Well I hope you have a good and fun trip Terri, better bring a good warm set of clothes or money enough to purchase the proper apparel for that climate.

Jeff
Not to worry Jeff! I've been making that trip for 33 years now so I have my "Wisconsin togs" aired out & ready to pack tonight. I'm like you -- I don't do cold well at all. Just checked their forecast & it's highs in the 50s & lows in the 30s so not too bad - at least it won't be snowing & icy.

OK fighting the urge to break out the Brinsea for a fall hatch - would be nice to have new layers come spring....

Not to worry Jeff! I've been making that trip for 33 years now so I have my "Wisconsin togs" aired out & ready to pack tonight. I'm like you -- I don't do cold well at all. Just checked their forecast & it's highs in the 50s & lows in the 30s so not too bad - at least it won't be snowing & icy.

OK fighting the urge to break out the Brinsea for a fall hatch - would be nice to have new layers come spring....
I said I was putting mine away. I currently have about 30 in the incubator and another 40 ready to go in next week
hide.gif
Luckily most of them are already sold!

Back
Top Bottom