"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Mzstre where did you get your Basque hens from?

How's everybody like this chilly weather this morning? I'm going into even chillier - quick trip to Wisconsin this weekend - my MIL turns 88 on Sat & we are throwing a surprise birthday party for her. I'm flying up tomorrow & back on Monday - hopefully with some fresh picked apples!
droolin.gif
I ordered shipping eggs from Skyline Poultry in TN. James has some beautiful birds. At the time, the only other place I could find them was from Greenfire Farms as chicks and they were charging $19 for a day-old unsexed chick. Crazy price. Greenfire took the Basque hens off their website this week. I can only assume that people weren't ordering from them when they could get eggs and chicks at much more reasonable prices elsewhere. They aren't super flashy like some breeds, but they have been amazingly hardy. I hatched 10 out of 12 shipped eggs and haven't lost a bird!

I hope you have a great trip to Wisconsin! I am so jealous about the fresh apples. Yum!!!

Brandy

I said I was putting mine away. I currently have about 30 in the incubator and another 40 ready to go in next week
hide.gif
Luckily most of them are already sold!
LOL, Gracie! It certainly is an addiction. What do those of you who hatch so many do when you have chicks that don't sell? I'm pretty sure I could sell most of the Lav Ams that I don't keep, but I'm hesitant to hatch many of the Basques (once they all start laying lol) because not many people have heard of them. Maybe I'll have to give some away first to establish them.
smile.png

Brandy

Terri - I haven't found any cons yet lol! They are very friendly and "talk" to us a lot! They are excellent foragers and they always run to the brush pile to check for mice when we let them out. I've lost several birds to hawks, but none of them were Basques. The summer heat didn't phase them, even on the hottest days when my other birds were panting. They are supposed to lay around 220 eggs per year, but I'll have to get back to you on that one. ;) I really do like the breed so far. I'm pretty sure this is the girl who gave us the egg today.

y9yresu8.jpg

Beautiful bird.

LOL, Gracie! It certainly is an addiction. What do those of you who hatch so many do when you have chicks that don't sell? I'm pretty sure I could sell most of the Lav Ams that I don't keep, but I'm hesitant to hatch many of the Basques (once they all start laying lol) because not many people have heard of them. Maybe I'll have to give some away first to establish them.
smile.png

Brandy
Keep them and grow them out to see if they would make good breeding stock. If not, then I give them away or post on craigslist. So far no problems getting rid of anything!

Yep I'm hoping it was the heat that made them stop , their all of egg laying age and I think they all decided to molt also, but my neighbor thinks it may be because I got rid of my roo and that's when they seemed to stop laying, so hopefully soon I will start getting eggs again . And I really like your basques, and I've been itching to get my incubator running again just don't have any eggs to hatch :(

What do you do with the excess roos?  Do you process them or have you been able to sell them? 

Not much of a market for excess roos.  I am going to start growing them and processing them next spring.  

That's what I did last year with all of the excess roos that I had. Delicious! :drool I plan on doing the same thing next year.

Back
Top Bottom