"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Quote:
Golly that sounds like just the sort of pickle I tend to get myself into! I had to read your post 3 times to get the gist of it, lol.
OK I'd do what you are thinking of doing -- do the switcheroo & I don't think it will hurt to put the broody eggs in lockdown a day early. My reasoning behind that being, it doesn't always go perfectly by the book in nature, does it? and I've had staggered hatches when I had only one bator that went OK.

At this point I think Julie has the right idea -- just go with broody hens! now if only I had a broody hen.......hey Kuntrygirl, you hatching any Cochins out? I think I need to buy a couple of future broodies from you, lol!

Hey Terri. I will be hatching some Cochins soon. I will keep you posted. My Cochin girls are the best. They hatch out about 70% of my flock. I always slide about 8 eggs under my Cochins to hatch out and they always go the extra mile and hatch all of them for me.

If anyone is selling any old rustic looking tin signs, old non-working old farm house tools, wagon wheels, foot tubs, etc., please let me know. I have been collecting antiques and tin signs so that I can finally finish my chicken house. I have about 5 signs so far but still need more. If you have anything that you would like to sell, please send me a PM.

Thanks

Thanks Julie -- yes, put me down for some cochins please!

What size signs are you looking for? Can't help you on the old tools, lol, we are all still using ours! I wish I still had some of the signs from my grandfather's store - he came to this country from Sicily in 1899 and had an old country store for years & years --- it stood about 200 yards from where you were in our backyard, my Daddy & his brothers & sisters were all born in the house attached to the back of the store. When they build the state highway back in the 70s the state took the land & so it was all torn down. I do still have some old bottles and tools and things they used to sell - and we still have the 1930 Model A car too! it's next door at my folks' house, Daddy has kept it in running condition all these years. We used to drive it in parades and stuff like that.

Ok Terri. I will. Will keep you posted.

Can anyone recommend one of those 1 million watt heavy duty flashlights? I bought one many years ago but it finally died and they stop making that brand. I purchased a black and decker but it is a piece of trash. Now I need to get another one but scared to purchase another piece of trash. Does anyone use these? I use this type of flashlight to finish up chores at night and I'm out in the chicken yard until as late as 9pm, so I need something that I can shine and I can see far far far.
big_smile.png

Would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks
Julie

Quote:
I know I rambled. Sorry. I do that's lots when I have to much going on up there!!

I wish that another one would go broody that would be about perfect. I did just get a giant Cochin a few weeks back. Maybe she'll make me happy.

On another note. I have both my roo's put in cages and the state vet will be here tomorrow afternoon. So I'll let y'all know how that turns out.

Congrats Julie on getting your number!!

Last edited:
I forgot to say congratulations to Julie too -- Congrats to you!

Can you get them to inspect while you have chicks or do they all have to laying age? for the NPIP I mean.

I need to get a good flashlight too! OK guys-- what do you all recommend? Isn't there some special type the police people use that's supposed to be the best? I swear I'm going to buy TWO when I find out which is best!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Terri. They only inspected the birds that were 1 year and older. They looked at the younger chicks but they didn't test them.

Yes, I have always heard, when you see something you like, that you should buy two of them. Why didn't I do that???
barnie.gif
Now, I'm having a hard time finding something worth the money.

Has anybody bought chicks from Serios feed and Seed in Bossier? What breed are they typically at the feed store? We will be looking for some Easter Eggers, a few Silkies, and a few Polish in about 2 weeks. Have considered a Plymouth Barred Rock or some other more "traditional" looking birds:) don't want to travel too far...any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom