"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Back from the PO.  Idiot packed 4 little solo cups with what I'm assuming was water as the box was wet.  Of 22 chicks, 14 are alive.  Two are barely hanging on.  I really did not need lemon cuckoo orps, but there are 7 of them--all quite noisy and happy to be out of the box.  There is one lavender.  There is a buff that has a little grey in the wings.  Who knows what that is.  The other 4 are black.  I popped the really weak ones in the bator for quick warmth and the rest in the brooder.  I snapped a couple of pics of the black ones I wasn't sure about.  One is solid black.  Two are black/yellow.  One is black and brown.  I would really like that one to be a jubilee!!!

OH NO !!!! That saddens me to hear that. I hope all of the weak ones make it and that you don't lose any. I could take the old grouch and :smack :mad: !

Last edited:
Quote: The black and yellow chicks could still turn out to be all black birds. You need white (in the genes) to have black. The yellow is most likely the white but will fade out and become an all black bird. Later down the road if you want to breed for solid black birds, mark all three birds now (like with a toe punch or wing band) so you know what two had the black / yellow in the beginning. Then try and breed the solid black bird to one of the birds that was black / yellow to get your solid black babies. If you don't do this you will breed yourself out of black birds in just a few short years.

If you don't plan on breading them...then none of the above really matters anyway.

Chris

The black and yellow chicks could still turn out to be all black birds. You need white (in the genes) to have black. The yellow is most likely the white but will fade out and become an all black bird. Later down the road if you want to breed for solid black birds, mark all three birds now (like with a toe punch or wing band) so you know what two had the black / yellow in the beginning. Then try and breed the solid black bird to one of the birds that was black / yellow to get your solid black babies. If you don't do this you will breed yourself out of black birds in just a few short years.

If you don't plan on breading them...then none of the above really matters anyway.

Chris
Thanks Chris. You've missed my big issue with the seller I got these from on RBA last week. These were all supposed to be 50 to 100 dollar jubilee, partridge, or gold laced chicks. Instead, I got a lavender and lemon cuckoos I already own and these little black guys. Not hundred dollar colors for what I paid and expected in return.

The black and yellow chicks could still turn out to be all black birds. You need white (in the genes) to have black. The yellow is most likely the white but will fade out and become an all black bird. Later down the road if you want to breed for solid black birds, mark all three birds now (like with a toe punch or wing band) so you know what two had the black / yellow in the beginning. Then try and breed the solid black bird to one of the birds that was black / yellow to get your solid black babies. If you don't do this you will breed yourself out of black birds in just a few short years.

Chris
Hey Chris,

I just have to say that you were definitely right about these GSBRs not feathering out for a while! They look ridiculous with their fat little bodies and short wing feathers
gig.gif
Good thing I have them in the garage, because I think even the silkies would laugh at them
wink.png
I can't wait to see how they look in a month or two when their feathers catch up to their bodies!

Hey Chris,

I just have to say that you were definitely right about these GSBRs not feathering out for a while! They look ridiculous with their fat little bodies and short wing feathers
gig.gif
Good thing I have them in the garage, because I think even the silkies would laugh at them
wink.png
I can't wait to see how they look in a month or two when their feathers catch up to their bodies!
LOL! Yea I spent a lot of time scratching my head last year wondering what the heck....

By the was that Sizzle you posted a pic of a day or so ago looked great!!!

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. You've missed my big issue with the seller I got these from on RBA last week. These were all supposed to be 50 to 100 dollar jubilee, partridge, or gold laced chicks. Instead, I got a lavender and lemon cuckoos I already own and these little black guys. Not hundred dollar colors for what I paid and expected in return.
Yep, I just went back a page or so and started reading.

At the moment I have some Black Rock Bantams that I'm growing out so I have been reading up on breeding for black. No big deal! Hope you get it worked out!!!

Chris

My goose finally hatched some babies! Problem is that she stole the nest from a Peking duck, so momma and daddy goose are parading a bunch of ducklings around the barnyard! They seem so proud of themselves!

Cute! even if they are ducklings & not goslings! maybe the geese were just "practicing" and now will get to the real thing.

Beautiful!
Looks like someone empties beverage bottles faster than I do.
big_smile.png

Back from the PO. Idiot packed 4 little solo cups with what I'm assuming was water as the box was wet. Of 22 chicks, 14 are alive. Two are barely hanging on. I really did not need lemon cuckoo orps, but there are 7 of them--all quite noisy and happy to be out of the box. There is one lavender. There is a buff that has a little grey in the wings. Who knows what that is. The other 4 are black. I popped the really weak ones in the bator for quick warmth and the rest in the brooder. I snapped a couple of pics of the black ones I wasn't sure about. One is solid black. Two are black/yellow. One is black and brown. I would really like that one to be a jubilee!!!

How awful for you! I hope at least some are what you were expecting.....so sorry they all didn't make it.
smack.gif
to that seller!

Back
Top Bottom