"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Just too many & want to cut back---- I want to keep a few of my younger pullets that I just hatched but I also want to re-home some of my older layers as well. I'm sending loads of eggs weekly to the Manna House kitchen - but that isn't doing a thing to cut back on my own feed bill - so some of them either have to go to new homes or to the freezer. I want to cut my flock down to around a dozen hens (have about 24 right now) - only need enough to get a dozen eggs a week. Not planning on raising any more here. Both of my Welsummer roos are also up for new homes (or else, freezer camp) I'm keeping my Cuckoo Marans roo.

Terri if I didn't already have umpteen hundred give or take a few here and there I'd be there in the shake of a lambs tail but I just am full up now I too need to downsize here too, roosters out the wenwang here they got to go (ya'll are outta here)

Jeff

Last edited:
Fred looks to be a Buff Orpington the little white headed black is a Birchen pullet/hen looks to be Old English Game bantam or American game bantam or poss a mix of some sort but the color is called birchen and that particular pattern is the female color. Buff/gold girl looks Cochin yes.

Jeff
Thanks, Jeff. I was told that Fred looked like a RIR but with the wrong colors. I just saw birchen bantam this morning. Looks a lot closer than the others I was looking at. Thanks so much!

Just too many

Terri if I didn't already have umpteen hundred give or take a few here and there I'd be there in the shake of a lambs tail but I just am full up now I too need to downsize here too, roosters out the wenwang here  they got to go (ya'll are outta here)

Jeff

Same here Jeff. I need to downsize too.

Wow Terri. Why are you reducing your flock?

Just too many & want to cut back---- I want to keep a few of my younger pullets that I just hatched but I also want to re-home some of my older layers as well. I'm sending loads of eggs weekly to the Manna House kitchen  - but that isn't doing a thing to cut back on my own feed bill - so some of them either have to go to new homes or to the freezer. I want to cut my flock down to around a dozen hens (have about 24 right now) - only need enough to get a dozen eggs a week. Not planning on raising any more here. Both of my Welsummer roos are also up for new homes (or else, freezer camp) I'm keeping my Cuckoo Marans roo.

I hope that you can find good homes for them.

Good morning all. I hope that everyone had a great weekend.

Pea and guinea eggs went on lockdown yesterday. Hatch day is Wednesday. Looks like 3 of the 4 pea eggs are fertile. Looks like all of the guinea eggs are fertile. I think I have 16 guinea eggs in there.

My neighbor came over this weekend and wanted to me go over to their yard to show me something. Well, this is the something that he wanted me to see. I have a guinea that is setting on about 30+ eggs under his swing. :/ She was on the nest for a while but we upset her and she got off and ran back home. She finally went back to the nest later on after we left the area.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************
Wanted to share a little bit of Louisiana History with everyone. How many people knew that Opelousas, LA was once the capital of Louisiana? Well, yes it was. Here is a brief history and a pic of the Governor's Mansion that still stands in Opelousas.

I took these pics of it this weekend when we were out riding around. A few years ago when we stopped by to visit the house, it was occupied by an older couple . From what I understand, they lived in the house but was not able to make any changes, renovations, so that the history of it would not be disturbed. It looked horrible back them because vines were growing all over the house. But because the agreement was that they could not do anything to it (but cut the grass) there was nothing they could do. This weekend when we passed by it, we noticed that it has been cleaned up tremendously. It doesn't look like anyone is living there now. So maybe the older couple moved out and the state has reclaimed the Governor's Mansion and now they are doing what they need to do to clean it up and preserve it.

In 1862, after Baton Rouge fell to the Union troops during the Civil War, Opelousas was designated the state capital for nine months. The governor's mansion in Opelousas stands to this day. The one story mansion is located on the corner of Liberty and Grolee Street just west of the heart of town. An observation tower was removed from the top of the residence in the early 1900s but the remainder of the exterior is identical to its original construction in 1863. The entire roof section of heavy rafters is held in place by thousands of wooden pegs, not one nail can be found in the attic. Today the home is a private residence and not accessible to the public. The capitol was moved again in 1863, this time to Shreveport when Union troops occupied Opelousas. During Reconstruction, the state government operated from New Orleans.

The Union forces led by General Nathaniel P. Banks who occupied Opelousas found what the historian John D. Winters describes as "a beautiful town boasting several churches, a fine convent, and a large courthouse," far superior in appearance to nearby Washington, also in St. Landry Parish. Early in 1864, jayhawkers began to make daring daytime raids in parts of St. Landry Parish near Opelousas. According to Winters in his The Civil War in Louisiana, the thieves "robbed the inhabitants in many instances of everything of value they possessed, but taking particularly all the fine horses and good arms they could find." Winters added that conscription in the area came to a standstill, as men could avoid the army by staying within the lines of the jayhawkers. The conscripts who did not join the lawless element stayed home until the state or the army could protect their families."

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

Finally cooked one of my turkeys this weekend. I had a hen that had broke her ankle/leg a couple months ago and I fixed her up and the ankle and leg was healed but during the time, she was putting pressure on her hocks and her hocks were swollen badly and 1 leg had turned completed to the back. I knew that I couldn't fix that, so I made the decision to process her. Well, we finally cooked her this weekend. I must say that is THE BEST turkey that I have EVER had. It was VERY tender and moist. I cooked it for 2 hours. The weight before cooking was 3.8 lbs. She was only about 4 months old. It wasn't a big turkey but it was big enough that 3 people with 1 person having seconds. And leftovers for 2 people, so it looks like it was a turkey big enough to feed 6 people. I can't wait to process the next one. :drool

**************************************************************************************************************************************
I have 4 muscovy ducks setting, so I expect to see babies soon. :/

****************************************************************************************************************************************
I'm starting to wean my baby lamb from the bottle. Not sure how that's going because he cries for everything. :/ He's up to 26 lbs as of this weekend.

******************************************************************************************************************************************

Have a good day everyone! :D

Last edited:
Yummy turkey! I had a 16lb turkey cooked this weekend. It was good, I can only imagine how delish yours was! Good job.

Hahaha at sneaky guinea too funny. And 30! My goodness!

Pea and guinea eggs went on lockdown yesterday. Hatch day is Wednesday. Looks like 3 of the 4 pea eggs are fertile. Looks like all of the guinea eggs are fertile. I think I have 16 guinea eggs in there.

My neighbor came over this weekend and wanted to me go over to their yard to show me something. Well, this is the something that he wanted me to see. I have a guinea that is setting on about 30+ eggs under his swing. :/ She was on the nest for a while but we upset her and she got off and ran back home. She finally went back to the nest later on after we left the area.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************
Wanted to share a little bit of Louisiana History with everyone. How many people knew that Opelousas, LA was once the capital of Louisiana? Well, yes it was. Here is a brief history and a pic of the Governor's Mansion that still stands in Opelousas.

I took these pics of it this weekend when we were out riding around. A few years ago when we stopped by to visit the house, it was occupied by an older couple . From what I understand, they lived in the house but was not able to make any changes, renovations, so that the history of it would not be disturbed. It looked horrible back them because vines were growing all over the house. But because the agreement was that they could not do anything to it (but cut the grass) there was nothing they could do. This weekend when we passed by it, we noticed that it has been cleaned up tremendously. It doesn't look like anyone is living there now. So maybe the older couple moved out and the state has reclaimed the Governor's Mansion and now they are doing what they need to do to clean it up and preserve it.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

Finally cooked one of my turkeys this weekend. I had a hen that had broke her ankle/leg a couple months ago and I fixed her up and the ankle and leg was healed but during the time, she was putting pressure on her hocks and her hocks were swollen badly and 1 leg had turned completed to the back. I knew that I couldn't fix that, so I made the decision to process her. Well, we finally cooked her this weekend. I must say that is THE BEST turkey that I have EVER had. It was VERY tender and moist. I cooked it for 2 hours. The weight before cooking was 3.8 lbs. She was only about 4 months old. It wasn't a big turkey but it was big enough that 3 people with 1 person having seconds. And leftovers for 2 people, so it looks like it was a turkey big enough to feed 6 people. I can't wait to process the next one. :drool

**************************************************************************************************************************************

****************************************************************************************************************************************
I'm starting to wean my baby lamb from the bottle. Not sure how that's going because he cries for everything. :/ He's up to 26 lbs as of this weekend.

******************************************************************************************************************************************

OK new ad going up at Petrus this week: and also available to any BYC La-yers' who are interested:

FREE TO GOOD HOME!

Flock Reduction:   10 hens, 1 rooster of varying ages and breeds. All are still laying. Some are older hens; some are pullets 7 months old. Breeds range from Welsummer to Cuckoo Maran, etc.
FREE. Come get them. PM me for details.

I've tried to PM you but it doesn't seem to be sending. Are they spoken for yet?

I love Louisiana history! Thanks. Is it normal for a bird to be sitting on that many eggs? That's a lot. I got something today called Flock Block. It's a kind of heavy block of seeds etc. supposed to be healthy for chickens. Have you or anyone seen this? What do you think?

PrimroseMom1, I also love Louisiana history but then again, I love history. My favorite subjects in school were English, History, Science and Biology. :)

I think that's too many eggs for her to sit on . I'm thinking that her friends (wink wink) helped with laying those eggs.

I have saw Flock Block at TSC but never bought any. It looks delicious. I have wanted to buy it but I didn't. Let me know if they like it. I may try getting it.

Back
Top Bottom