"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Puffy eyes, sneezing and cleaning up constantly after these babies! They are getting so big already I'm sure the older ones will be outside soon. And I'm pretty happy that all the eggs that are not dark Marans eggs are fertile from Roger Bacon. That is awesome! Tomorrow or the next on my broody hatch. We still have yet to get any Cochin for the kids to show. Since this super cute, sassy little white Cochin is a roo. I'm 95% sure. :( So I'm crossing my fingers for these broody eggs to have a couple that will work. Working with the incubator now that we have the fan on it is interesting. Even with the rain I have had to add water every other day just to maintain at about 30%. But I do really like that it heats back up even faster than before. Even more Cochin eggs in there that may be good for the kids. 11 are wiggling! Yay! And something interesting we are taking notes on today. There are 2 distinct different sets of feathers on the Buff Orpington chicks. One has the tail already out and longer flight feathers . The other opposite. So we are banding to see if it is a fluke. If it is a reliable predictor of sex that will be cool. If we get more eggs from her it will just be nice to know from a week old what they are. I know that only works if they have the right gene for that.

Happy Friday!

Are you going to be shipping hatching eggs, birdlman? That might work.

yes I could...and since I love this site and it is so helpful all you would have to do is pay for shipping...all that mom has right now is one male and one female so I don't know how long it would take to get however many eggs you would like...and I could thro in some barnyard mix eggs as well...I figure with shipping eggs thru handling and xray and such a 50 percent hatch would be normal...so also take this into consideration...I have heard horror stories about zero hatch rates and I have heard good hatch rates up to 90 percent...so how ever the box is handled would make a big deal as well as this time of year you wouldn't want to ship eggs because of how cold it is...I would send you two batches so you could receive it fresher so it would be a better hatch for you but with one of each my guess is she would produce one egg every other day....

I here peeping! I was getting concerned we started on the same day. I went to add some water to bump the humidity up and finally hear them. Yea! I read an article on Brinsea about the cool down and they suggest 1 hour for chickens and 2 for larger eggs like duck and turkey. Pam

Yay! I hope everyone posts pictures of their cute chicks! It really is cool how every breed looks different even as chicks.

yes I could...and since I love this site and it is so helpful all you would have to do is pay for shipping...all that mom has right now is one male and one female so I don't know how long it would take to get however many eggs you would like...and I could thro in some barnyard mix eggs as well...I figure with shipping eggs thru handling and xray and such a 50 percent hatch would be normal...so also take this into consideration...I have heard horror stories about zero hatch rates and I have heard good hatch rates up to 90 percent...so how ever the box is handled would make a big deal as well as this time of year you wouldn't want to ship eggs because of how cold it is...I would send you two batches so you could receive it fresher so it would be a better hatch for you but with one of each my guess is she would produce one egg every other day....

If you but live hatching eggs they won't x-Ray. I just read it in the learning center on BYC. Pam

I here peeping! I was getting concerned we started on the same day. I went to add some water to bump the humidity up and finally hear them. Yea! I read an article on Brinsea about the cool down and they suggest 1 hour for chickens and 2 for larger eggs like duck and turkey. Pam

Could you post the link to that article please? I do have the older model Brinsea; ya'll are getting me interested in this "cool-down" thing....might be something to try next hatch... thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom