"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Sorry, y'all. I got some weird test results Thursday and spent a couple of days feeling sorry for myself. Nothing major, just not the answers I was hoping for. And I had to work this weekend, ugh. Not my favorite. But I had my house full of 20-somethings, just the way I like it. :)

My daughter's birthday party is today (Sunday) so I'll be busy again.

Nothing from the eggs, yet. I'm trying to be patient. It's day 20, so I'm getting ready.

Sorry, y'all. I got some weird test results Thursday and spent a couple of days feeling sorry for myself. Nothing major, just not the answers I was hoping for. And I had to work this weekend, ugh. Not my favorite. But I had my house full of 20-somethings, just the way I like it.
smile.png

My daughter's birthday party is today (Sunday) so I'll be busy again.

Nothing from the eggs, yet. I'm trying to be patient. It's day 20, so I'm getting ready.
hugs.gif

Kicked the RIRs out to the outdoor brooder yesterday - they are having a blast! I enjoy them so much at this age. Everything is a big deal. I am very pleased with their size at 5 weeks & the dark mahogany coloring coming in.

Who was it wanted a roo? I have 3 boys & 3 girls, PM me! I'm keeping 1 roo & 2 will be rehomed.

edited to correct spelling - duh!

Last edited:

:Wow -- look at that big world outside!

All on the alert; they heard a woodpecker & couldn't figure out what the noise was. They decided to come stay close to Mama (me) for a few minutes, "just in case".

Well I almost thought I was in the market for a new rooster today. I was showing the chickens to a friend right before sunset and the rooster was nowhere to be found. No feathers, nothing out of place, and no skittish hens. So we made a search party and made laps around the house and through the woods. I went to the back porch on my third lap and just happened to glance behind the freezer: he was wedged in down by the concrete, with at least one foot over his head. We got him out and he limped away, clearly with a wounded pride. I hope he's better and not worse tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the comb:

Maybe it's just bruising, but it really looks like the pictures I've seen of frostbite. Did it even get cold enough for that to happen?

Well I almost thought I was in the market for a new rooster today. I was showing the chickens to a friend right before sunset and the rooster was nowhere to be found. No feathers, nothing out of place, and no skittish hens. So we made a search party and made laps around the house and through the woods. I went to the back porch on my third lap and just happened to glance behind the freezer: he was wedged in down by the concrete, with at least one foot over his head. We got him out and he limped away, clearly with a wounded pride. I hope he's better and not worse tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the comb:

Maybe it's just bruising, but it really looks like the pictures I've seen of frostbite. Did it even get cold enough for that to happen?

I haven't heard of anyone having it. It looks worse in this pic then the last one. Pam

Out of curiosity, do any of y'all candle for internal pips? I was planning to follow the advice on that one article and not open the incubator until the hatch is finished. But I've heard of other people candling during the hatching.

Also, vent plugs: the article I was following said to leave them open through day 18, then close one, and to close the second on day 20. I was also told that this was a terrible idea.

Thoughts?

The article I'm talking about: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom