"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

They look great. It's ok to leave them in the incubator well one or two their peeping will incourage the others to hatch. :thumbsup

They look great. It's ok to leave them in the incubator well one or two their peeping will incourage the others to hatch. :thumbsup

I went ahead and moved them because they were sleeping in their hatch cups and that seemed gross. Also they were pretty cramped, and I knew once the kid got home she'd want to fiddle with them and I wanted to keep the bator stable. I may try to candle for a pip. The brooder is inches from the bator, so maybe they can still hear each other.

I found out last night that I do not like butchering Orpingtons. At least not the ones we have. It was a pain getting my hand into the cavity to get it cleaned out. That is something I take into consideration for breeding our own chicken nuggets. We did 4 hens, and only one was an ORP. Yay for fried chicken! In a couple of days. I like to rest the meat for a couple of days. We also have some pork brining some wild pork for Canadian bacon and reg bacon. Awesome (I hope!). We smoke the Canadian bacon tomorrow and the bacon on Saturday. And our eggs in the incubator are due to hatch Saturday. All this warm weather has spurred us to get busy on some outdoor tasks that needed attention. Like transplanting hibiscus and muscadine. My hands look terrible! Like I'm a gardener or something ;) lol

I still have this little olive egger cockerel if anyone is interested. He is supposed to be Marans x Isbar. If he stays here he will go to the freezer.

Last edited:
Yeah the babies got cold last night. I put in the wrong bulb and they spent the night with a red 100 watt bulb instead of a 250. When I discovered it this morning they were huddled up and quiet. I changed it out and within 5 min they were sprawled and sunning. Funniest ever. It was 43 in the rest of the storeroom and I don't know how much the 100 watt did, but it kept them going until I got there.
I have to pick my time when dealing with SIL and his teaching me to do the pics. I'm not computer savvy and just learning the 3 dots on the texting was a hassle
lau.gif

My 100w bulb is about 90 deg in a room with an ambient temp of 65 deg. If that helps.

My 1 Week Old, future fluffy butts. So far everything is going well. I will have to make an addition to the coop in order to house them.

Yeah the babies got cold last night. I put in the wrong bulb and they spent the night with a red 100 watt bulb instead of a 250. When I discovered it this morning they were huddled up and quiet. I changed it out and within 5 min they were sprawled and sunning. Funniest ever. It was 43 in the rest of the storeroom and I don't know how much the 100 watt did, but it kept them going until I got there.
I have to pick my time when dealing with SIL and his teaching me to do the pics. I'm not computer savvy and just learning the 3 dots on the texting was a hassle
lau.gif
smile.png
I was just giving you a hard time.

Camping, there so tiny. Did you leave the eggs standing up in the cartons for the hatch or lay them on the sides?

I left them upright. It didn't seem to hurt anything. I did notice that whenever someone was "almost out" then whoever was already hatched rushed over to crowd them. Had they been on their sides, the pipping eggs would have rolled all over. BUT the crowd support could have possibly assisted a side hatched, instead of occasionally hindering an upright one.

I missed the first one, but I watched all the others. Very fascinating. After the initial pip yesterday (that lasted FOREVER), the first chick was probably only minutes old when I found it at 6:45 this morning. The other five had hatched by 11 or so. That sounds slow, but it was like popcorn.

I had put paper towels and a washcloth on the wire mesh, but they kept climbing back into the cartons. That's the biggest reason I moved them; they seemed to be having trouble maneuvering the wire and cartons, and I wanted them to get their legs straight. Also, I didn't want them bothering those last three eggs, in case I have another rotten one on my hands.

Here they are all dry:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom