"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Wow!! Were they all rat snakes/chicken snakes?!

I'm sorry you had to deal with that and had that kind of loss. I had no idea they would go for a juvenile bird. I thought my older chicks were safe. I will take some extra precautions tonight and reinforce my brooders tonight.

Were all of the snakes found at night or I the early morning? That's when I find mine.

I think about half were in the evening, the others were all times. The first one had been living in the coop and picked off chicks as it got hungry.

So many beautiful birds! I'm loving the Honas!!! Did the lady in Texas manage to get the crele pattern in her birds?

She's still working on it. I can link you to her thread if you want to follow along. It gets pretty dense but she keeps excellent notes. I think I had hatched 17 that I had marked to track traits. There are 6 left, and 4 are roos.

Thanks! The honas I started with a pair from Pam @Ron Skekel . She's over in your part of the state! One day I'll have some of her neiderrheiners. :drool

Oh geez, snakes first. All rat snakes. I only killed the ones I caught in the act. All others were chased off.

First: chick survived.
View attachment 1125403

Second: juvie survived.
View attachment 1125401

Third: ate entire clutch of duck eggs 8 days from hatch.
View attachment 1125410

Fourth: killed 5 juvies, not big enough to eat them.
View attachment 1125411

Fifth: deleted pics I guess but it's in the crate the hens are looking in. Ate 5 chicks and eggs.
View attachment 1125398

Sixth: ate 2 big chicks, killed one other.
View attachment 1125399

Seventh: ate eggs.
View attachment 1125400

One more ?... do you know how the snakes were getting into your coop? I had one get in after I reinforced my coop, but I don't know HOW. I think he may have gotten in when I left the door open for them to go in and out during the day but I'm not sure.

One more ?... do you know how the snakes were getting into your coop? I had one get in after I reinforced my coop, but I don't know HOW. I think he may have gotten in when I left the door open for them to go in and out during the day but I'm not sure.

These were in 5 different locations and either a door was open or they were not in a snake-proof place. Numbers 5-7 were in the same week. 3 and 4 were on the same day, but over 1/4 mile apart.

5 and 6 went under a door that was missing the weather stripping. It's where the goats usually live, so I hadn't fixed it. :/ No snakes have been in my brooders, or in the main coop when the door is closed.

I made sure the main coop was weather and predator proof. I accepted snakes as part of "country life," but this year their worse than ever.

I've started poking nests with a trowel and whacking bedding with a shovel or pitchfork if I'm feeling suspicious. :lol: number 4 went straight for the pop door when I startled it, so no doubt that's how it was getting in.

Any fellow Southeast Louisiana people here?

Just curious as to what chicken breeds you have?

I have cream legbars, cuckoo marans, ameraucanas, Oliver eggers, Easter eggers, and just added true blue whitings.

Hoping you are all well and safe.
Welcome!

I'm about 20 minutes south of Baton Rouge. I've got silver laced wyandottes and a few black japanese.

Back
Top Bottom