Love my dog, hate that she killed 18 of our birds!

my Jack Russell is a chicken murderer
sad.png
She isn't let out when the chickens are ranging and when she is, she's on a lung line with a limited area to run and play.

Mine (chickens and dogs) are not allowed to mix. We let them out once for less than 5 minutes and they killed 12 chickens.
Good Luck.

One of my dogs is ready to kill the birds on sight (Husky x GS/Border Collie, "Rose"). My other dog isn't interested (Lab x GS/Pit Bull, "Pygma").

Rose isn't allowed in the run. Period. Rose and Pyg are defensive of their food and chew toys, otherwise docile.

The ONLY animals safe from your predators have to be BIGGER than them! My new horse (16'3", 3 year old) won't be hurt from two 50 and 65 pound dogs. ALL of my 11 birds need to be protected from the dogs and cats. It's a hard lesson to learn, but I would be embarrassed if I listed the numerous mistakes I have made over the last 30 years with all of MY animals. Some of them cost lives, too.

Quote:
I feel your pain. Been there myself. You have my deepest condolences.
Im not going to make clever comments here about dogs and their brutal instincts - or their supposed trainability. There will be others to do that. You will hear all sort of of things, some sublime, some ridiciulous.

While a muzzle might help, my attitude is that things are a lot simpler if dogs and chickens are just kept apart. I mean, even if you train a dog to not bother chickens, what is the gain? You must spend an eternity looking over your shoulder, keeping a suspicious eye on the mutt.

Given that, it seems there is little in the way of substantial worth that comes of bringing them together.

l would suggest you consider electric fencing hereafter.

Again, sorry this happened.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry this happened!

I agree that a tether or fence is the best option.

Our border collie grew up on a farm that free ranged all their poultry, but I still don't trust her around our young chickens. When the chickens are out, the dog is tethered. Every time! I've just read too many posts on here.

The only way I would consider letting our chickens range freely with our dog is if we had a very tough rooster to put her in her place. And that is only because I am confident that she would back down. She is a highly submissive and skittish dog. Our 8 week old kitten let her know who was boss right away. But since all we have a young roo, I wouldn't trust her one bit so she stays on lead.

What Davaroo said--run with electric fencing to keep the dog out!

Can't count how many posts I've read on here where they tried to free-range and alternate with dog out. A child, visitor, leaves a door ajar, a door not shut completely, 5 minutes and the flock is gone. I'm afraid that now your dog has experienced the thrill of the chase, she will never lose it. I can't free-range because my neighbors let their dogs run loose. Just the way it is.

Very sorry for your loss. To a dog the natural instinct is that birds are food. We have to let the know that chickens are our pets too. How to do that is a real trick and some dogs just know. This is where a shocking collar really works well.

oh thats so awful - i'm really sorry to hear.

fence fence fence

you may not want to have them out at alternating times tho - as you know, a lot of damage can happen in a short time. if another dog or other predator came on your property you'd be in the same position.

fence fence fence

a good lesson for all that dogs just cannot resist the flapping and the squawking.

so sorry

The dog probably thought it was a game, our chickens have no fear, and thus our dog never chased them, when we added a new girl to the flock, the dog walked over and she ran, so the dog took right up behind her
I am so sorry you lost your chicks, and I am glad you were able to get more and try again. Life is a tough teacher sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom