Low success rate raising chicks

DerSchoeneBahnhof

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2022
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
So 2 years ago, we raised 3 chicks, 1 week old bought from shop, with 250 W heat lamp. They turned out fine. It was June, very warm weather such that we didn't need to use the heat lamp much.

Mid Feb '23 we bought 3 chicks, 2 of them died in a few days. Week later we bought 3 more, 2 of them died. The 2 remaining eat a lot so I think they are ok (though they bottoms are a bit dirty).

This year I decided to skip the heat lamp and switch to a heat plate instead (I picked a 12" x 12" 20 W model from Rent-a-Coop). The last chick that died had a lot of accumulated dried poop on the vent. We tried to clean it with a wet paper towel but there was just too much of it. It eventually refused to eat much and didn't make it.

Now the question is, what am I doing wrong?

- everybody seems to say heat plate is the way to go, and I am concerned about fire risk with a heat lamp
- I use corncob particles bedding though I recently switched to small pine shavings 'cuz it's what the shop had
- I gave them AG Farmers Best Feed starter
- I built a 24" x 48" x 12" wooden box currently in the living room, temperature is set to about 65 F

2 years ago I used a different starter (if I recall, Purina). So besides different weather I have 2 variables, the feed and the heating mechanism. Actually, a 3rd variable is we bought from a different shop, don't know if that matters too.

Any help appreciated! I can post a pic of the setup if this helps.

Thanks,
CG

Photos of set up are always good, but doesn't sound like there's any obvious issues with your description. I assume you've made sure the heat plate us warming up properly and that the legs are adjusted so chicks can press against it sitting and standing?

Need to keep an eye on the pasty butt, it can kill chicks pretty quickly. I usually make it a point to check each chick twice a day, though I haven't had much issue with it myself, as my brooder set up runs cool (heating pad + temps from 40s to 60s) which seems to help prevent it.

With the previous chicks that died, I think you need to consider time of year as a possible factor. Feb is a poor time to ship chicks especially with the very cold weather parts of the country are getting. It's possible the cold + stress set these chicks up very poorly before you ever stepped foot in the store.

I would suggest picking up some Poultry Nutri-Drench and providing that in the water for around 48 hours after you bring them home, to help deal with stress.

I have had a total of 33 chicks 4 have passed. Smothering was an issue...
It's resolved now, but may want to make sure all chicks can access heat.

Pasty butt is an issue...when it comes down to it...I soak it real well and then tug lightly and it'll come off...piece by piece or in a whole chunk..sometimes a little bit of feathers are lost...but the chicks are not..if you look close the little one in the middle front has a bare behind...but he was totally caked and dried..HUGE pile of poo on his bottom when I got him from Rural King.

Attachments

• 20230301_152522.jpg
    20230301_152522.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 12
So 2 years ago, we raised 3 chicks, 1 week old bought from shop, with 250 W heat lamp. They turned out fine. It was June, very warm weather such that we didn't need to use the heat lamp much.

Mid Feb '23 we bought 3 chicks, 2 of them died in a few days. Week later we bought 3 more, 2 of them died. The 2 remaining eat a lot so I think they are ok (though they bottoms are a bit dirty).

This year I decided to skip the heat lamp and switch to a heat plate instead (I picked a 12" x 12" 20 W model from Rent-a-Coop). The last chick that died had a lot of accumulated dried poop on the vent. We tried to clean it with a wet paper towel but there was just too much of it. It eventually refused to eat much and didn't make it.

Now the question is, what am I doing wrong?

- everybody seems to say heat plate is the way to go, and I am concerned about fire risk with a heat lamp
- I use corncob particles bedding though I recently switched to small pine shavings 'cuz it's what the shop had
- I gave them AG Farmers Best Feed starter
- I built a 24" x 48" x 12" wooden box currently in the living room, temperature is set to about 65 F

2 years ago I used a different starter (if I recall, Purina). So besides different weather I have 2 variables, the feed and the heating mechanism. Actually, a 3rd variable is we bought from a different shop, don't know if that matters too.

Any help appreciated! I can post a pic of the setup if this helps.

Thanks,
CG
Look at me. I don't know anything but what others with experience are saying on here. I read somewhere on here about "pasty butt" being taken care of by putting apple cider vinegar in their water. My chicks are only 2 weeks old (although they don't act like it), so this is water I've been doing. I've watched their bottoms, and now I'm adding the vinegar every 3rd time. I change their water several times a day. Now that may be something very important as well, to change their water frequently.

I have always done save a chick in water for first few days after arrival and normal fresh water and chick feed. I use heat lamp. Out of a few hundred chicks over the years I have lost only a handful. Might be poor care where you get them from. If I see pasty butt I simply pull it off. The only thing I have never done is raise less than 10 at a time. Maybe the low numbers makes a difference?

Sounds like pasty butt and stress are getting them. I check butts at least twice a day for the first week, and for the first 24 hours chicks get water with Sav-A-Chick in it. I usually give them Sav-A-Chick water again at around 4 days old for 24 hours just to be safe if it is cold outside. Also, shipped chicks sometimes don’t want to eat/drink well the first 24 hours — I lift up the heat plate and make them all come out at least once every 1-2 hours the first day; they don’t always like to come out but once you get them out they usually run right over to the water and then feed and start drinking and eating.

Your setup sounds pretty good. It seems like the pasty butt is the issue. Like someone else said, it can kill chicks quickly if not removed. So if it won't come off, you need to soak them and make sure it comes off.

I've only had one batch of 9 chicks so far but I had no real issues with pasty butt. I was doing Sav a Chick brand vitamins/electrolytes and probiotics (mixing the two packets in the water at the same time) for the first week, and then I did apple cider vinegar in their water every other day until they were about 6 weeks old. I think there was only one instance the whole time when I had to clean someone's butt. I'm not saying this is a 100% cure but it worked for me. Btw, it's also good to have fresh water with nothing mixed in it out at all times too when you have the vitamin/probiotic or ACV water out. Good luck! Just make sure to inspect those little butts daily.

I’m fairly new to chicks but all is going well so far no deaths! I also use the eco glow and the biggest thing with the eco glow is making sure it is set at the right height I have set mine where there backs easily are touching the top of the plate and as I’ve reset or adjusted the height I monitor throughout the day to see if chicks are huddling or seperating and now have the plate at a slant to accommodate for size differences! I also agree with the pasty butt, I’ve had about 4 who have to be cleaned once or more a day and now it’s slowing down but I check 2+times a day each chicks butt for good measure! But from what I understand sometimes you can do everything right and it’s maybe the health of the chicks, do you have any brooder chicks? What are you using for bedding?

I’m fairly new to chicks but all is going well so far no deaths! I also use the eco glow and the biggest thing with the eco glow is making sure it is set at the right height I have set mine where there backs easily are touching the top of the plate and as I’ve reset or adjusted the height I monitor throughout the day to see if chicks are huddling or seperating and now have the plate at a slant to accommodate for size differences! I also agree with the pasty butt, I’ve had about 4 who have to be cleaned once or more a day and now it’s slowing down but I check 2+times a day each chicks butt for good measure! But from what I understand sometimes you can do everything right and it’s maybe the health of the chicks, do you have any brooder chicks? What are you using for bedding?
I meant do you have any brooder pics**** not brooder chicks 😂

Good advice on the heating plate. I've seen pics on Amazon reviews where people had them an inch above the chicks heads, and they were all huddled underneath. I have the feeling a lot of people set the plates up wrong when they first start using them and keep the chicks way too cold.

Back
Top Bottom