Lump on neck?

Annnies

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 1, 2012
New South Wales, Australia
I'm new to chickens and this lump alarms me...

Any ideas? It sits to the right of the neck, I'm assuming they have a storage like baby birds do? But this seems odd compared to my other baby chick...... :(

If you can see air, it probably needs to belch, for lack of a better term. When I handfeed cage birds, this sometimes happens. Unless the crop is grossly distended, you generally can leave it alone. You can mechanically burp your chick by very gently extending the neck - beak should point up at a 45 degree angle, neck should be straight up and down. Then very, very gently massage the crop. Do. Not. Force. Or squeeze.

Disclaimer: I have never needed to burp a chicken chick, this is the proceedure for parrots, finches & canaries.

It doesn't feel like a crop, there's def no food in there & it is always there regardless of whether they've just eaten or not.... Unless it's just a deformed crop of some sort, I have another chick from same batch of eggs and that one doesn't have it, I can feel her crop

Not to hijack the thread but I didn't want to post a new one of almost the same thing so soon after this one was put on. My chick is like that but it isn't air-it feels like food. I just noticed it this morning and she seems totally fine other than that. So any ideas? Or should I not worry about it?
By the way, I just signed up.
frow.gif
everyone!

interesting.. Not to sure what it is but when it grows out it's feathers it will be covered.

Looks like a healthy chick to me though.. Best of luck!

Im not sure what it is either I would assume crop. My chicks seem to almost always have the large lump on them. Make sure to offer them chick grit just incase it is the crop. Otherwise watch for any other signs of distress and post any new symptoms if they arise.

Thanks all.

Four chicks, very mixed colors, Hawaii backyard kine. Free-range mother died within three days but not before the chicks learned to eat cracked corn out of my hand. I suspect the hen died from a dog or a car. It's been a week now and the cat hasn't got them yet. They follow me around the yard; no idea where they sleep at night. Now I see the above mentioned lumps on all four chicks. But, I'm also seeing lumps on the necks of a few of a live free-range mother's 7 chicks all of whom I feed the same amount at the same time. At first I was thinking that because they weren't sufficiently taught the scratch and pick technique for getting bugs that their diets might be lacking. Now, based upon the above replies it could be that two handfuls of cracked corn in the morning and again in the evening is causing the lumps, perhaps their crops are too full.

Will cut back and report back.

With aloha,

Kerry

Update about neck growths.

I cut back 50%, —from two handfuls in the morning and 2 more in the evening to one in the morning and another in the evening and all the growths were gone within 24 hours.

Much appreciation to all,

Kerry

Back
Top Bottom