Mad, broody chicken

Quote:
Being broody is only bad if you don't want chicks and/or you do want eggs from her. There are hens out there that will stay broody until they die of starvation/thirst, even if there is food and water right in front of them. If you remove them for a few days and put them in a cage with a wire bottom for a few days, you can typically "break them". Once they've laid an egg, they are safe to be turned back out again!

Quote:
being broody when you dont want them to sit means that you dont have any egg production, which means that all you are doing is feeding and watering them, they do get off the nest atleast once a day to eat and drink when they are sitting but if you arent supplying them with eggs and dont need them to sit then they are just there. They dont lay eggs during the broodiness. So most people like me who eat the eggs rather than buying that sorry excuse for what they pass as eggs in the store tend to run out of eggs especially if like mine all your hens go broody at once.

Hey y'all... I looked in on some broody threads because my girl recently went broody on me. I had a golf ball in the nest box to inspire her, and left it in there even after she started laying. I kept removing her eggs, but she started trying to hatch the golf ball and wound up in full blown broody mode. I took the golf ball out (at the risk of loosing a limb) and was considering taking more steps as described in the previous posts by others. Today she is up and about and went up to the roost with the others... she seems to be over it... interesting...

I let my girl out of "jail" this morning and she's back to her old self. She never did lay an egg while separated, but after about two days she got over the whole anger thing. I guess we all just need our own space sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom