Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Nothing happening yet here eathier. I am a day ahead of you guys so I was hoping for somthing by now. I think my temps were a bit low during incubation. What scares me is when they went into lockdown the temp at the bottom of the batoe was 95/96 but I didn't touvhppch it for two hours because I had the top off for a good 5 minutes and wanted it to warm up. But it didn't. So I gave it a little turn NAND went to bed. I woke up the next morning with it at 96/97 so I turned it up again and it finally went up to 99/100. I took probably a good 24 hours for me to get the humidity up to 68-70%. I hope I didn't kill them.

Quote: NOT COOL!!!

My small 24 egg one still doesn't have pips...

... I know, I know.. .it's only day 19.

But my 1588 has 6 chicks and 7 pips (as of 7AM this morning).... can't wait to go home for lunch and see how many chicks I have.

I've decided I'm naming my first pipped and fourth hatched brown Icelandic, "Slime"... When I take a pic of him, you'll understand... somehow it even has a strip of yellow/green chick poop across its back.

Eeewwwww! Give that poor baby a bath.
sickbyc.gif
I've had a few like that. One even had his poor eye glued shut. I thought he was blind in one eye til I gave him a bath.
lol.png

Well the green egg that was peeing at me yesterday and moving is no longer moving, peeping nor is there an external pip! :( I believe the early bird has perished in its shell, no body is due til saturday So I am not expecting anything from anyone else, but i feel bad is it something I did ? the temp is a steady 101 in my still air incubator and the humidity is 60%, so why did one that was peeping and so active in it's shell up and die on me? I cannot and will not open the bator because I do not want to ruin the rest of the hatch, any guesses as to why the little one didn't make it? I am praying that it is just sound asleep but I highly doubt it it's been 12 hours since last peep and movement.

I've had it happen and I always wonder the same thing. Wolftracks was just talking about the same thing a few weeks ago. It happens and it is terrible but I can't tell you why.
sad.png

Correction: I only paid $750 for the Brinsea cabinet incubator. The day after I ordered mine, the 190 model went up to $850 because they now have the "cooling mode" which allows you to set it so the heat goes off for short periods of time. I didn't care about that feature anyway so I am quite happy saving $100! My four Cream Legbars due Saturday are in the hatching tray, 37 Icelandics, 1 Cream Legbar, and 9 Breda eggs are in the incubation trays on staggered hatch dates. My Brinsea Octagons are sold but I am keeping the Hovabator as a blow dry station for new chicks before they go into the brooder.

Whew! I was gonna say! I just bought one a month ago and it was around $800 including shipping.

BTW folks the new 10% off code for Brinsea is EASTER. It says for incubators, not incubator related supplies, but I just bought some egg trays and stuff and the discount worked for these non-incubator supplies too. They update their coupons on their FB page.

Quote:
Ah all these early hatchers are killing me!! I don't see anything happening yet with my eggs
barnie.gif
By the way today is my 21st birthday and I got the bet present ever - a 101 on my organic chemistry exam!!!
big_smile.png

YEA!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Nothing happening yet here eathier. I am a day ahead of you guys so I was hoping for somthing by now. I think my temps were a bit low during incubation. What scares me is when they went into lockdown the temp at the bottom of the batoe was 95/96 but I didn't touvhppch it for two hours because I had the top off for a good 5 minutes and wanted it to warm up. But it didn't. So I gave it a little turn NAND went to bed. I woke up the next morning with it at 96/97 so I turned it up again and it finally went up to 99/100. I took probably a good 24 hours for me to get the humidity up to 68-70%. I hope I didn't kill them.

Temps running low is not as much of an issue as high temps! Keep up the good work-- a few more days of h---- and the peeps will be here. Waiting is difficult.

Quote:
Temps running low is not as much of an issue as high temps! Keep up the good work-- a few more days of h---- and the peeps will be here. Waiting is difficult.
Thanks! I hope I can atleast get somthing to hatch. The guy who used this incubator before me said nothing hatched. But I don't think he raised humidity during lockdown. And I don't think he monitored temps that well. My fingers are crossed!

I've got three pips so far. One is trying to zip but she's been working on it for about 6 hours now.....All 11 were active when they went into lokdown. Not too bad for shipped eggs.

Back
Top Bottom