Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

images
TODAY IS HATCH DAY!!! Don't be in too big of a rush to remove chicks from the incubator....if there is sufficient room, they are fine in there until they are fluffed up and dry and even longer. Don't risk the unhatched chicks by opening the incubator to remove them. Some incubators recover humidity and temperatures more quickly, but if you're not sure about yours, err on the side of caution and let them be.

18 chicks out so far! And yes, I remove mine IF they are in the brinsea. I don't touch chicks in the styrobator! Have a few more left in the brinsea and a bunch left in the hovabator, but pips are popping out left and right. I think my brinsea was a bit high on temp and my hovabator a bit low. Pics soon!

She hatched!!! At 7:50! I'm so proud:) but jeez, they are deffenitly not cute when they come out of the egg. Mine was scary. Now he's summer saluting through the incubator :D

I don't really see a difference between hatching in cartons or other ways to keep the eggs "still" and hatching en masse. Either way the hatched chicks step on, lay on, poop on, peck on, etc the eggs. I think it encourages the chicks to hatch.

I know you'll probably miss this since you are out selling pullets (wow, bring them here! LOL) but your eggs are doing great. I think there's just one left in the bator without a pip. I tossed four duds and one quitter early on, but the other 19 are rockin so far. Not bad for shipped eggs. Still a few left so we can see if there's any more NN.
Also just had a chantecler from happyhensny pop out. Tiny chick! =) And something else, not sure what. Could be an australorp or one of my mutt eggs. it's black and yellow so guessing australorp.

So exciting hearing about all the hatching!

Two of mine hatched yesterday, and I ran in this morning to see still only two. Jumped in the shower, and came out to find three!

This is my first time hatching in a carton. All 3 chicks very neatly replaced the cover on their egg. You can hardly tell which ones hatched!

I put my best-looking 12 eggs in one Brinsea, and crowded 18 that I had less faith in into the other Brinsea. Now the crowded Brinsea has 3 chicks and one on the way, and the other has nothing!

Chestnutridge, I would be interested to see this "chick in a cup method".

And dsquard, I am in love with your splinted lav! Great photo!
Off to check the bator again! :)

Buckabucka I used the chicken-in-a-cup method last year for one of my turkey poults. It can help with splay leg or to just separate a weaker chick for a while. I think I got the idea from SteveH. It works pretty good. When my poult got strong enough, I just let it out of the cup and it ran around with all the others. ChestnutRidge, do you have any pics of yours? I didn't take any last year.

Back
Top Bottom