Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

My eggs were set a day later because they arrived a day later then expected...so mine will be a bit behind the rest.

I had 15 White Capped Black Polish, 6 went into lock down, with one of them being a bit iffy because of a weird air cell.

Wish me luck!!!!!

fl.gif

I've got 14 chicks in the brooder and 6 still drying in the bator. 1 chick dead was dead in the incubator this morning and 3 had pipped and/or zipped, but died in the shell; I'm really wishing I had stayed up last night. Still have lots of eggs not doing anything.

Hope everyone gets lots of chickies today!

Looks like the multi button is back!

he.gif
pop.gif
he.gif
pop.gif
This is my morning!! I woke up to 3 pips from local eggs tho. 4 hours, no further progress. O, the torture!! In my mind I know that day 21 is still an hour away BUT everyone else has chicks already
hit.gif
and
droolin.gif
. Plus, I had to make a decision about starting lockdown a little early or a little late. Well, a little late turned into 10 hours late due to an excruciating day at work. I was spoiled with hatched chicks half way thru day 19 last hatch. I did lower my incubating temp a fraction of a degree for this hatch to even it out and NOW I"M SORRY! I need chicks now! Especially all the treasures that came in from around the US. Renee, 3 out of 4 blue eggs made it to lockdown and both So. Americans!! I hope I didn't jinx it.
fl.gif
Not everyone has chicks!! You're going to be fine!

Can't wait to see what you get!

I've got 14 chicks in the brooder and 6 still drying in the bator. 1 chick dead was dead in the incubator this morning and 3 had pipped and/or zipped, but died in the shell; I'm really wishing I had stayed up last night. Still have lots of eggs not doing anything. Hope everyone gets lots of chickies today!

I hate it when they don't make it out of the shell. It's very sad!

hugs.gif

Last edited:
Quote: I bet you are right! Only problem is, which one was that? I have other photographs... going to look for that head mark - Thank you!

ChestnutRidge look for a single comb. I don't know if everything you hatched had single combs but it should be pretty evident if the others have a different kind of comb.
Good call, but the Basques are all single combed, too. A friend mentioned that Orpingtons are slow-feathering while Basques are fast-feathering, so if nothing else, I should have it sorted out in a few days.

Off to look for that head mark. Then, 1) consume coffee, 2) check on all feathered creatures, and 3) head to town in search of baby parrot food.

ETA: It's Sneakers! Sneakers is the Orpington! What a relief. So glad it's not one of the Basques.

Last edited:
Well, finally back after not being able to post much yesterday. Seems to be working OK now! I have had a good hatch with the non shipped eggs, All done in 1588 #2: I have 21 out of 24 Iowacanas in lock down (2 late quitter, one pipped & died) and 22 out of 23 NotAFarm Icelandics (1 late quitter). 1588 #1 has mostly shipped eggs and doesn't look promising. 3 of Kathyinmo's Icelandics hatched super sticky. I had to help one and bathe them all
sad.png
I don't think the dry hatch worked for the shipped eggs, at least it didn't improve things. Humidity was the same in both bators, ranging from 26 - 35 based on room humidity. I thought the air cells were about perfect. I still hear peeping though, but I'm going to watch them pretty closely.

Congrats to every one with new babies!

Back
Top Bottom