Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

2 buffs, 2 barred, and a couple that looked blue!? And a Black.
Well...multi-quote didn't work right on that last post...and I didn't notice when I hit send...

What color chicks did you get? The F2s can be: [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, Serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]Barred;Black;Delaware;Split gold/silver males;Buff Columbian; Barred Buff Columbian & Silver Columbian (the last will be pullets). Note: ALL the buff colored chicks are female.[/FONT][/FONT]

See above.
gig.gif

So, the eggs in my hovabator is chirping and rocking like crazy. The 4 or 5 heatspikes to 107-110 and the dips to 91-96 didn't kill them after all! Waiting on a pip though because they were chirping and rocking like crazy last night and nothing so far. Soooo...any advice for my serama singleton? Brood with polish or try to raise it hands on by itself?

Put the Serama in with everyone else if it's on its feet. I have raised mine in mixed flocks with Jersey Giants and all kinds of madness, and they held their own fine when everyone grew up together. It's just whether or not she can move out of the way from the clumsy galoots right now.

have a chick that just hatched . when its cord detatched from its egg it left a very large piece attatched to the chick and the chicks bottom area, where the cord is attatched, is red and swollen. none of my others looked like this when they hatched so i am just wondering if i should be worried? i have a kind of poor picture, but its the best i can do.

To the person who asked: the number of eggs you hatched must be reported by APRIL 11TH, 2012 AT 11:59:59 "Mahonri Standard Time" MST.

The eggs counted in this must have been set on or near St Patricks Day and placed in the original spreadsheet for number of eggs set.

Don't go away yet... we still have a few contests open...
Kathyinmo's
chicken-87.gif
"Holiday Poultry" Calendar Photo Contest
Brinsea's
Guess How Many Eggs We Will Hatch?
Cutest
baby_chicken-53.gif
Chick Picture
rooster-66.gif
Best Overall Hatch Participant
rooster-66.gif

1muttsfan's
e145.gif
Small Batch Best Hatch Rate
Best Hatch Rate

Notinoz2007's
28.gif
Worst Hatch Rate Consolation Prize

PLUS We're still waiting on the announcement of the winners of:
Thebirdguy's
hatching-chicken-hello.jpg
Cutest Baby Picture Contest WEEK TWO CONTEST
The Sheriff's Egg Art Contest
ChooksChick
anim.gif
Flapper Contest
anim.gif
WEEK THREE CONTEST
Crazypetlady's
chick-ginny.gif
Poultry Short Story Contest WEEK THREE CONTEST
ChookChick's
Celebrity Chicken Look Alike Contest

I know this feeling Linda. I more than doubled my chicken population this weekend. I think I will have to look at selling some of them. I really don't need 50 chickens.
hide.gif

50's not so bad. I actually "group" mine so it appears like I have less. For example, I have:

36 adults.
7 older juvies in the coop
15 younger juvies in the basement
23 newly hatched chicks
5 ducks.

Now, see, doesn't that look much better than ... 86?

Holy... 86?? Today was the first day I tallied that. And I sold a bunch on Saturday, too.

Wow! I don't even want to count how many I have, but chicks don't count, right? :)

With the two deaths, I have 36 chicks in my too small temp brooder, so they go out to the barn tomorrow. I'll sell some next weekend when all the easter frenzy is done. :)
50's not so bad. I actually "group" mine so it appears like I have less. For example, I have:

36 adults.
7 older juvies in the coop
15 younger juvies in the basement
23 newly hatched chicks
5 ducks.

Now, see, doesn't that look much better than ... 86?

Holy... 86?? Today was the first day I tallied that. And I sold a bunch on Saturday, too.

Back
Top Bottom