Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Thanks, dsqard. I just went up and checked on him, and the lump is not looking that red at the moment, but I will keep an eye on it. He won't come out from under the Eco-glow this morning, while all the others are eating and exploring. I wish I were home more to check on him, but the weekend is coming.

Meanwhile, I have a sick hen for the first time, and I have no idea what to do. DH says she hid in the community nest box much of the day and he thought she was broody. Last night, she was in a different nest box and barely responsive. Unable to open her eyes much, and let me touch her (my birds are not handled much). There was watery poo not too far away, but not sure if it was from her. Her crop felt okay.
I was sure she would be dead this morning, but DH said she was walking around on the roosts, but one eye will not really open. I have no idea what is wrong, and once again, am rushing off to work. I'll go check on her before I leave. :(

sorry for your sick hen' CHICKENS JUST DO THAT i THAT a beautiful silver laced EE hen I found dead under the roost. She had been just fine that evening when I lock the door to the pen. She had been out in the yard pecking bugs that day. THEY LOVE IT WHEN i AM IN THE YARD.
I was supper surprised to find her gone. She a young bird 1 year old .
I have a broody BCM hen gave 10 eggs 8 BCMs 2 barnverders Let is if she can hatch those stubborn BCM eggs better than me... My eggs are getting dark and harder for me too hatch. I always feel bad when the chicks dead in the shell.
My chicks are doing good for the most part. 4 of the last hatchers didn't make it. 1 had bad legs I had to cull it. THE REST ARE IN THE BROODER make fertilizer singing the chicky song. I think I will back to bed it is a little early for me.

Well, believe it or not we had another chick hatch from our hatch-a-long eggs early this morning. Yesterday I was getting ready to clean out the incubator and toss the remaining eggs and found one had pipped. I tapped it and the little fella chirped! So i left them in over night and right after I got up, there he was! He's a cross between my barred rock hens and my red cochin...wonder what he will look like? So that brings my total hatched to 9. Hey! That also means I had a 50% hatch rate...not bad for a first time hatch :)

However, I have had several hatch with leg issues and I am pretty sure that it must have been caused by something during incubation. I have found lots of things saying it COULD be caused by conditions during incubation, but I cant find anything saying WHAT those conditions may be. I have another batch of eggs to set, and want to try and figure it out before I set them so today is research research research I guess! I also have read up on "dry" hatching and have decided thats what I am going to do for the next round.

... not only that, I'm extremely "on edge" EVERYTHING seems to really bother me. It concerns me greatly
It might be time to go on a hike, if you can, and clear your head.
hugs.gif

:

I hope this soothes everyone's eyes....

Kindred spirits? Reminded me of Anne of Green Gables.

I thought nothing was worse than red hair. Green. Green is much worse.
I gotcha. I read those books a million times and had marathons with the movies with my mom when the boys were out of town.
thumbsup.gif
Green isn't quite "raven black," the poor dear.

I'm trying to sell chicks, but not having a ton of luck. DH's disapproval is rising. I'll take them to the poultry sale this Saturday and hopefully do better.

So the egg I opened yesterday died and is bloated.
sickbyc.gif
But I still have one weakly chirping. the one I opened was very very veiny still but the membrane was very dry. I'm afraid to try to open up this last weak chriper. Part of me wants to give it a chance but part of me says...its day 26! If it can't come out on his own, its probably not meant to be. What should I do?

Back
Top Bottom