mail order chicks vs feed store chicks

Days before I bought my chicks at my local feed store, I was there buying chicken supplies. They had 3 bins with birds (1 bin with quail, 1 with baby ducks, and 1 with Rhode Island Red chicks). Each bin had big signs saying "Do Not Touch" on them. As I was shopping, I noticed an elderly gentleman with his granddaughter (she looked maybe 3 years old). At first, he was holding her and letting her see the birds...no big deal. Then, he actually put her in the bin with the ducklings and started taking pictures. She was stomping all around the bin, chasing the ducklings. Who knows how many she stepped on. Then, she picked up a duckling in each hand and began waving them around like toys. The grandpa just stood their laughing and taking pictures. I couldn't believe my eyes.

At the exact same time this was happening, there were 2 teenage siblings (brother and sister) at the Rhode Island Red bin. The boy picked up a chick and threw it straight up in the air. Of course it plummeted back down with a thud in the bin. They both burst out laughing as the boy said, "Well I guess they can't fly yet!". I was absolutely furious.

I let a store employee know as I was checking out. I still returned to the store a couple of days later and bought my Rhode Island Reds there. I fully expected one or two of them to die the day I brought them home, simply based on what I had observed. Luckily, all of my chicks are fine and doing well.

This is, by far, the biggest con of feed store chicks. They are exposed to thousands of customers a day before they end up in your possession, and some of those customers are terrible people.

The title of this thread is misleading. Feed store chicks ARE mail order chicks most often. Unless the feed store happens to be very close to the hatchery. The last time I bought chicks at a feed store, I vowed that I would never do so again. When I got there, shortly after my special order chicks had arrived, I was beyond appalled at what I saw. I was furious. There were 2 plexiglass bins of chicks which were waist high. There was a single heat lamp hanging over the divider between the 2 bins, and that lamp was about 24" above the bins. The chicks were SCREAMING, and trampling each other standing on tip toes at the bin partition, trying to get warm. I asked to speak to the manager. Of course he was too busy to take a moment to speak to me, so I settled for "the guy in charge of the chicks". I explained to him that the chicks were cold. His response, "They can't be cold, they have a heat lamp." I explained that it wasn't close enough to the chicks, and they really should have 2 lamps for that many chicks, and if he couldn't tell by the way the chicks were acting that they were cold, he needed to put a thermometer in there. I then asked, "You do have a thermometer, don't you?" This was a HARDWARE STORE!!! Dumb look. So, I suggested that the heat lamp be lowered. Much fuss about finding a step ladder, and I helped him lower the lamp. Since one of my chicks was, by this time comatose, I told him that I was going to leave, and come back in an hour or so to see if the comatose chick had improved. I let him know that I had no intention of paying for a comatose chick. When I came back, chick was still comatose. Other chicks were logy, but coming around. So, after much fuss with the manager, I left with 5 chicks in a box, and comatose chick in my pocket. Was told that there was no refund policy. Once chicks leave store, dead or alive, there is absolutely no refund. If you do mail order, at least the hatchery has a 48 hour policy. By the way, the chick was dead by the next morning.

I like mail order for the simple fact i can get them vaccinated at a very low cost for mareks disease! A highly contagious airborn disease thats litterly everywhere!

I know this is a very old post, but I have to say that I had a very bad experience with mail order chicks. 5 out of 6 died before I picked them up, and I did so as soon as they called me to tell me they were there. Lucy, my survivor, is now 3 years old. The day I got her I was fortunate enough to go get a couple more at a local farmers market small animal sale. Couldn't bear to think she would be alone. But I do understand the idea of picking what ever breed you want.

Back
Top Bottom